Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #11 
Travito

Okay, I will try to provide as much information as possible.

I am using the Elite mini submersible aquarium heater (25W), by Hagen. It is this model http://ca-en.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/A748 The item number is A748.

By turn on/off, I don't mean actually cutting power from the heater. It is always plugged in so in a sense it is always "on". Maybe I have haven't been paying attention enough to see it come on when the temperature drops? I'm not sure. It definitely turns itself off, so I guess I don't have to worry about the tank getting too warm for the little guy.

Reading some reviews on Amazon *seem* to indicate that it does self-regulate...maybe someone here with the same model can verify. I've been at home all day and so far it's been staying at a good 80F...I just don't understand how it knows what temperature to turn off at; there is no way to program in 80F or anything..

I will keep checking it out every few hours.

Last edited by Travito; 01-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Travito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #12 
Myates

I use that one in a bunch of my smaller tanks.. it does self regulate and keeps the water at the temp you set it at.

There are internal thermostats, similar to what is in your home when you set the heater/air conditioner.

The knob on top is what controls the temp, unfortunately for the "mini" series, you can't see what you are setting it at, just have to watch the thermometer and adjust as needed.

Unless it malfunctions, it should not create too hot of water for the fish.. once it reaches the right temp it will stop and not turn back on until it starts to cool.

I say leave it be.. it's at a good temp (80), just check the temp daily when you check on your guy.. no worries :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #13 
Travito

Thanks, that's a huge relief. They should make their instructions/packaging a little more clear!
Travito is offline   Reply With Quote