Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 
LikeSeriously

Help with a new home!

I have a Crown Tail Betta in a small .5 gallon tank. I know! Please don't yell. :0) - I'm here to try to figure out how to make life better for him. I purchased 5 Bettas and 5 of these tanks to use as a give-away at our church back in September. Since the people at Petsmart told me they would be perfectly happy in tiny bowls, I thought I was doing a great job by getting the larger .5 gallon tanks instead.

All 5 of the fish are still doing fine after 3 1/2 months, but I know mine would be happier in a larger tank. So... I have several questions.

I have an old 2.5 gallon tank that I will be moving him into. I know this might not be the greatest home, but it's better than what he has now and the best I can do at this time. The tank hasn't been used in 8-10 years. It's a Tetra that I bought at Walmart ages ago. It is the type that comes with a divider, and I bought one similar to it for my Grandmother for Christmas, but the filter was different. So I'm worried that I might not be able to find filter cartridges for my old one now.

1) If I can find out what type of filter cartridges I need, is there a place to look for them online besides Amazon?

2) The tank still had all of the accessories in it when I pulled it out and had not been cleaned. It was just drained after the last fish died. Is it enough for me to just clean everything with hot water and a sponge? I'm terrified of using soap on anything for fear that I won't get it all rinsed out. But I don't know if the hot water will be enough to make sure there's nothing in there that will make the fish sick.

3) I have noticed my Betta tends to stay towards the bottom of his tank lately and I'm sure that's due to the cold setting in here in Tennessee. We have had unusually warm temperatures through December so it's just now really starting to drop in the house. So the next questions is... Can someone recommend a small heater for the new tank? Small is the key but I definitely want it to be powerful enough for the 2.5 gallon.

4) Without getting too off-topic, we also inherited a 10 gallon tank with Goldfish several months ago. Sort of a rescue from a friend who didn't realize what he was getting into. We have a Gold Snail and a Yellow Rabbit Snail in that tank. The Yellow Rabbit Snail has had 4 babies in a matter of two weeks! Since the Goldfish tend to pick on the snails, and these babies are teeny tiny, we removed them from the 10 gallon and placed them with the Betta. He doesn't seem to mind them at all. Nipped at them once or twice and then left them alone. They've been with him for nearly a month now and everyone seems to be fine. Just curious as to what others think of this combination though. They will eventually get too large to all stay in the one tank but it seems like a safe place for them now.

I'm sure I have a million other questions but right now, I'm concerned mainly with making sure it's safe to move him into the 2.5 and getting a heater, even if I need to order one and have it over-nighted. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

**Edit**
I think I remember something about the tank being a Bow Tank if that helps or matters.

Last edited by LikeSeriously; 01-05-2013 at 02:21 PM.
LikeSeriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #2 
Alanthebro

I usually keep me baby bettas in 1+ gallon tanks.They will do fine without a filter but a heater would be necessary if you live in cold climates.
Alanthebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #3 
asukabetta

1) If I can find out what type of filter cartridges I need, is there a place to look for them online besides Amazon?

I wouldn't get a filter, it's useless unless you intend to cycle a tank and cycling something smaller than a 5g is hard and dangerous for your fish as the cycle will be unstable.

Plus it may create too much current. So that would be some money you save.

However if you need a filter for your 10G, I recommend something with low or adjustable flow (or perhaps you may have to baffle it with a sponge so your betta won't get bothered by it) and you can look in craigslist, petco, and any pet store you may have near you.

Ebay is also an option.

Hang on back filters (Hob filter) and fluvial sponge filters are the most recommended for low budget betta keepers

2) The tank still had all of the accessories in it when I pulled it out and had not been cleaned. It was just drained after the last fish died. Is it enough for me to just clean everything with hot water and a sponge? I'm terrified of using soap on anything for fear that I won't get it all rinsed out. But I don't know if the hot water will be enough to make sure there's nothing in there that will make the fish sick.

You can always use a bleach without detergent waterred down to clean it and rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse... a lot.

If not a mixture with vinegar and hot water can do. Also rinsing a lot is needed.

Or if they make you quesy you can always dip them in boiling water, though if it is made of plastic or rubber I'd pass on this method.

3) I have noticed my Betta tends to stay towards the bottom of his tank lately and I'm sure that's due to the cold setting in here in Tennessee. We have had unusually warm temperatures through December so it's just now really starting to drop in the house. So the next questions is... Can someone recommend a small heater for the new tank? Small is the key but I definitely want it to be powerful enough for the 2.5 gallon.

Well a good heater for you is an adjustable heater around 10-25w. Hydor heaters are well recommended and a nice fit for your tank.

4) Without getting too off-topic, we also inherited a 10 gallon tank with Goldfish several months ago. Sort of a rescue from a friend who didn't realize what he was getting into. We have a Gold Snail and a Yellow Rabbit Snail in that tank. The Yellow Rabbit Snail has had 4 babies in a matter of two weeks! Since the Goldfish tend to pick on the snails, and these babies are teeny tiny, we removed them from the 10 gallon and placed them with the Betta. He doesn't seem to mind them at all. Nipped at them once or twice and then left them alone. They've been with him for nearly a month now and everyone seems to be fine. Just curious as to what others think of this combination though. They will eventually get too large to all stay in the one tank but it seems like a safe place for them now.

Well I do recommend a filter for a 10g (something that will not create too much current for your betta), it will save you trouble regarding water changes,and you can always look up guides in cycling here in this forum.

Read about what cycling is and how to do it here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

I didn't know much about the snails but reading about them from here: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...02&pcatid=3102

it seems they produce a lot of waste and may grow to be rather big-- 3 inches.

Not to mention the temperatures are a bit incompatible with the betta as bettas enjoy temperatures around 75-82F.

And the snails like 64-75F.

And I think keeping the tank at 75F would strain the snails.

You could give away the snails and the goldfish and start a community tank with the betta, or move the betta to a smaller tank (though downgrading a betta isn't usually recommended) and choose between keeping the goldfish or the snails, because it is rather overstocked. And in the long run overstocked tanks do cause diseases :( I'm sorry if this isn't something pleasant to hear, I just wish to help

Last edited by asukabetta; 01-05-2013 at 02:50 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.

The 2.5gal will be fine to keep a Long fin male Betta long term IMO/E-provided that you maintain water quality.

IMO/E-filters are optional for this species and especially in the smaller tank when keeping a Long fin male-Sometimes the water movement can be the cause of fin damage and stress-Some tolerate it just fine without any issues too. If you do decide to use the filter-IMO/E you don't need to change the cartridge unless it is falling apart. It will need a good rinse/swish in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month to remove the big piece of debris to maintain good water flow-the filter media should look dirty.

Most of these cartridges are a combination of a sponge and charcoal-IMO/E you don't need charcoal-it is a short term or short lived product and it can't be recharged, however, IMO/E once it is used up-it won't hurt anything and it will provide more surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonize to help maintain water quality between water changes. You can also cut a slit in the sponge part and dump the charcoal out. It is a good idea to have fresh charcoal on hand in case of an emergency. IMO/E-use of charcoal long term is a personal choice and not a need-but if you opt to use it-change it per package directions.

You may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand. Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range.

You will need a thermometer to monitor the water temp in the tank and the water temp of the replacement water used for water changes. You want to try and keep the water temp between the tank water and replacement water used for water changes within 5-10 degrees more or less.

Chemical additives-IMO/E the only chemical additive you need is a good dechlorinator that covers both chlorine and chloramines if you are on city water supply.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best.

What I recommend for water changes in a 2.5gal unfiltered tank-without live plants....Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-90-100%
Be sure and properly acclimate to both temp and chemistry with a new Betta and 100% water changes when you cup.

If you use the filter-twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method.

IMO-the snails should be fine kept with the Betta.

Look forward to some pic....and ask all the questions you need....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #5 
LikeSeriously

Sorry, replied too soon and I think you've already answered the question I just posted. :0)

Last edited by LikeSeriously; 01-05-2013 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Replied too soon. :0)
Old 01-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #6 
LikeSeriously

Fantastic response! Thanks so much, Oldfish lady! I guess we will go filter-less for now then. I do think the heater is a must for us. Our house stays rather cool and I have notices a significant temperature drop when I feel his water. Recommendations on a thermometer and heater? There's a little sticker thermometer on the side of the 2.5 gallon tank that's been there for years. Not sure if it would still work properly.

I change his water once a week right now, 100%. I usually put the water out for several hours next to his bowl to get them to the same temp. Then put him in a cup, clean his bowl and gravel and add conditioner to the new water and put him right back in. Does this sound okay?

It is such a pain to fish out the baby snails now so I was hoping to be able to use my vacuum in the new tank and do 50% once a week and then as much water as I can remove without totally draining the tank once a week. That way I would remove Phineas but leave the snails. So I think that's on par with what you are saying.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #7 
LikeSeriously

asukabetta: Sorry, I didn't see your reply before. Now it's showing that you responded before Oldfishlady.

I will check out all the links when I have time in just a bit. I do have a filter and air stone in the 10 gallon. Am I understanding that you are saying my 10 gallon is overstocked with the goldfish and snails? I do a 50% water change once a week, which is more than what was recommended by both my local store and petsmart. The fish and snails are both thriving and seem happy and look very healthy. Both stores also told me that I could actually add several more snails. They clean the tank quite well. We had some snails that didn't do so well at first and after I returned them and waited a while on new ones, I could tell a huge difference in the algae in my tank. The snails keep it so much cleaner.

I admit to knowing next to nothing about all of this and am thankful for your remarks. It's just difficult when so many people tell you different things that directly conflict with what others say. I will look into it a but more but I'm content with my 10 gallon for now.

Everything I have read and been told about the Yellow Rabbit Snail is that they thrive in warmer waters like the Betta. My Goldfish tank stays closer to 78 on its own and my Mama Rabbit seems to love it. I guess that's warm for goldfish but they seem to like it as well.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #8 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeSeriously View Post
asukabetta: Sorry, I didn't see your reply before. Now it's showing that you responded before Oldfishlady.

I will check out all the links when I have time in just a bit. I do have a filter and air stone in the 10 gallon. Am I understanding that you are saying my 10 gallon is overstocked with the goldfish and snails? I do a 50% water change once a week, which is more than what was recommended by both my local store and petsmart. The fish and snails are both thriving and seem happy and look very healthy. Both stores also told me that I could actually add several more snails. They clean the tank quite well. We had some snails that didn't do so well at first and after I returned them and waited a while on new ones, I could tell a huge difference in the algae in my tank. The snails keep it so much cleaner.

I admit to knowing next to nothing about all of this and am thankful for your remarks. It's just difficult when so many people tell you different things that directly conflict with what others say. I will look into it a but more but I'm content with my 10 gallon for now.

Everything I have read and been told about the Yellow Rabbit Snail is that they thrive in warmer waters like the Betta. My Goldfish tank stays closer to 78 on its own and my Mama Rabbit seems to love it. I guess that's warm for goldfish but they seem to like it as well.
I am unexperienced with your type of snail, however some goldfish do need a 10g like the fancy ones and then it's pretty much stocked, but for more opinions you should ask around in the betta compability section of the forum :)

Snails help with algae, but when you run out remember to suppy them with wafers, also I didn't like snails too much because they pooped more than anything XD

Last edited by asukabetta; 01-05-2013 at 07:20 PM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #9 
Aluyasha

Others have already posted some great advice for your betta. :)
As for the goldfish. They will for sure need a bigger tank. Recommended minimum for one fancy goldfish is a 20 gallon with 10 gallons extra per fish, as for commons, comets and shubunkins they are more for ponds or possibly very large tanks.
They also should have extra filtration as goldfish are one of the more messier fish. lol
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #10 
LikeSeriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
I am unexperienced with your type of snail, however some goldfish do need a 10g and then it's pretty much stocked, but for more opinions you should ask around in the betta compability section of the forum
I'm not planning to put the Betta in with the Goldfish. It was just a bit of back-story on why I have 4 snails in with my Betta.