Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #11 
LikeSeriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluyasha View Post
Others have already posted some great advice for your betta. :)
As for the goldfish. They will for sure need a bigger tank. Recommended minimum for one fancy goldfish is a 20 gallon with 10 gallons extra per fish, as for commons, comets and shubunkins they are more for ponds or possibly very large tanks.
They also should have extra filtration as goldfish are one of the more messier fish. lol
Who recommends a minimum of 20 gallon per fish? I have never heard that at all. I welcome advice on the questions I posed but I'm content with my 10 gallon and just as I have sought a proper place to ask questions about my Betta, I have done the same for my Goldfish. I'm confident in the advice I'm getting on that tank already.
LikeSeriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #12 
Juditko

I have a 2.5 gallon (filtered) and my betta seems to be doing well. Right now all he has is a ZooMed circular under gravel heater, but I actually ordered a Hydor Theo (fits 2-7 gal) off Amazon and am awaiting its arrival now. It's reportedly adjustable and has a light so you can see that it's working. After browsing the forums and seeing it highly recommended, I decided to go with it. I did purchase a Walmart Tetra heater (and it worked fine) but I couldn't adjust it, and the light to show it working didn't seem to be consistent, so it made me nervous.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #13 
LikeSeriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
I have a 2.5 gallon (filtered) and my betta seems to be doing well. Right now all he has is a ZooMed circular under gravel heater, but I actually ordered a Hydor Theo (fits 2-7 gal) off Amazon and am awaiting its arrival now. It's reportedly adjustable and has a light so you can see that it's working. After browsing the forums and seeing it highly recommended, I decided to go with it. I did purchase a Walmart Tetra heater (and it worked fine) but I couldn't adjust it, and the light to show it working didn't seem to be consistent, so it made me nervous.
If it isn't any trouble, could you link me to the one you purchased? I'm having trouble finding the right size I think.

Do you not like the under-gravel one? That is what I was really hoping to get before I started looking into them.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #14 
Juditko

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-AHY00322...+heater+25w+ul

I can't say that I don't like the ZooMed for not working...it has worked. But the only way to tell if it's working is to watch the temp on the tank. It's not adjustable, either. I'm going to hang on to it, though, as I am my first tank (a one gallon before I learned otherwise here on the forum.) Both will come in handy to keep him in good shape while I take time to clean the tank.

If you have a Petco or local pet shop near you, they might have this. Petco has theirs on sale online right now for free shipping on orders over $49 if you need some other things. If you use supersaver on Amazon and get a total of $25, they will ship for free...I think mine is going to take about a week to get here.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #15 
LikeSeriously

Thanks that is perfect! Looks like that price is pretty comparable. I have Amazon Prime so it will ship in two days for free.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #16 
Juditko

Oh that's great!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #17 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeSeriously View Post
I'm not planning to put the Betta in with the Goldfish. It was just a bit of back-story on why I have 4 snails in with my Betta.
I know that, I'm saying if you want to know if your tank is overstocked or not may it be with the gold fish or the betta ask in the compatibility section
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #18 
Fishybitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeSeriously View Post
I have a Crown Tail Betta in a small .5 gallon tank. I know! Please don't yell. :0) - I'm here to try to figure out how to make life better for him. I purchased 5 Bettas and 5 of these tanks to use as a give-away at our church back in September. Since the people at Petsmart told me they would be perfectly happy in tiny bowls, I thought I was doing a great job by getting the larger .5 gallon tanks instead.

All 5 of the fish are still doing fine after 3 1/2 months, but I know mine would be happier in a larger tank. So... I have several questions.

I have an old 2.5 gallon tank that I will be moving him into. I know this might not be the greatest home, but it's better than what he has now and the best I can do at this time. The tank hasn't been used in 8-10 years. It's a Tetra that I bought at Walmart ages ago. It is the type that comes with a divider, and I bought one similar to it for my Grandmother for Christmas, but the filter was different. So I'm worried that I might not be able to find filter cartridges for my old one now.

1) If I can find out what type of filter cartridges I need, is there a place to look for them online besides Amazon?

2) The tank still had all of the accessories in it when I pulled it out and had not been cleaned. It was just drained after the last fish died. Is it enough for me to just clean everything with hot water and a sponge? I'm terrified of using soap on anything for fear that I won't get it all rinsed out. But I don't know if the hot water will be enough to make sure there's nothing in there that will make the fish sick.

3) I have noticed my Betta tends to stay towards the bottom of his tank lately and I'm sure that's due to the cold setting in here in Tennessee. We have had unusually warm temperatures through December so it's just now really starting to drop in the house. So the next questions is... Can someone recommend a small heater for the new tank? Small is the key but I definitely want it to be powerful enough for the 2.5 gallon.

4) Without getting too off-topic, we also inherited a 10 gallon tank with Goldfish several months ago. Sort of a rescue from a friend who didn't realize what he was getting into. We have a Gold Snail and a Yellow Rabbit Snail in that tank. The Yellow Rabbit Snail has had 4 babies in a matter of two weeks! Since the Goldfish tend to pick on the snails, and these babies are teeny tiny, we removed them from the 10 gallon and placed them with the Betta. He doesn't seem to mind them at all. Nipped at them once or twice and then left them alone. They've been with him for nearly a month now and everyone seems to be fine. Just curious as to what others think of this combination though. They will eventually get too large to all stay in the one tank but it seems like a safe place for them now.

I'm sure I have a million other questions but right now, I'm concerned mainly with making sure it's safe to move him into the 2.5 and getting a heater, even if I need to order one and have it over-nighted. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

**Edit**
I think I remember something about the tank being a Bow Tank if that helps or matters.

I'm not exactly sure of a heater. I use the tetra one from walmart 5-10 gallons. Check walmart.com , petsmart.com , and petco.com

Sometimes, you can intermix filter media. You just have to know about what yours looks like to match another size. That is what I do because some brands are too expensive. Refer to above for sites.

To clean accessories buy some aquarium salt and soak the decor. Then rinse really good. Meijers carries API for about $3
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote