Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #1 
SpeakNow13

Whats this and how do I fix it????

Its like kind of fuzzy stuff that either looks like puss or mold, I cant tell if its in his gill or if he has a cut by his gill. He was in the tank with some bala sharks at wal mart :(
Attached Images

SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:45 AM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakNow13 View Post
Its like kind of fuzzy stuff that either looks like puss or mold, I cant tell if its in his gill or if he has a cut by his gill. He was in the tank with some bala sharks at wal mart :(
Is it on or behind his gills?

I think it could be ick, or Columnaris. But is there anything else wrong with him?

For example,

Quote:
Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
Quote:
Ick
•Symptoms: Betta has white dots (looks like he was sprinkled with salt) all over his body and head, even eyes. Lethargic, No appetite, Clamped Fins, Might dart and scratching against decor
Sorry, I can't be of better help as the pictures are blurry. :(
Was he like this when you brought him?
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #3 
SpeakNow13

He has lots of energy, swims around like a happy fish, I dont see tooo many white spots but some ich may be there. The only place I see the white spot is on that one side of his gill Its more in/behind his gill. It even maybe looks like a cut that got infected or something. It will be easier to take good pics in the morning in the sunshine :/
Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #4 
Hopelessaddict101

That's cool, be sure to. :)

Well then my best bet would be to treat him for Ich, but I won't be sure until I can get a better look :) So please keep us updated!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #5 
SpeakNow13

It looks like someone shoved a piece of cotton in his gill
Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #6 
aemaki09

If he's acting completely normal it could just be his stress coat shedding. I had a girl that I brought home with 2 fuzzy patches, one right behind her dorsal and one on her side, she acted completely normal and I QT'd her for 2 weeks just to make sure....turned out just to be her slime coat though luckily.

Keep a close eye on him. I'd only treat if his behavior changes. I dont like treating when I'm unsure if there is even really a problem.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #7 
Hopelessaddict101

^ I did not think of that. >.<
Old 01-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #8 
Myates

Could be slime coating sloughing off which happens when in unfavorable water conditions..

Could be fungus if it looks cottony..

Not ich at all..

Hard to tell with that picture..

Best bet, especially since it's by the gill area, is to do an AQ salt treatment.

2tsp of AQ salt per gallon + water conditioner, daily 100% water changes for no longer than 10 days (readding in the salt each time.. make sure you dissolve the salt prior to using it with the fish as it could cause burning).. would do this in a hospital tank to make the water changes easier on you (if he's in a tank larger than 2g). Keep the temp a bit lower, no higher than 78, 74-76 preferable as if it is fungus then the warmer temps would encourage it to grow (why you don't want to use ich treatment).

The AQ salt will help with gill function, remove any bacteria that is going on and kill any fungus. If it's just slime coating, then the daily 100% water changes will remove any irritants that may be causing it to slough off.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #9 
nehemiahludden

i just got a veil tail betta and he is extremely active when the water temo is at 79 degrees but not at 78 or 80 is this normal. and his name is whiskers, the reason i names him that is because i was asking him what he wanted his name to be and i had a list of 10 different names and when i said whiskers he came to the side of his bowl and flared all of his fins. i feed him the gold bio betta food and i use a stress calmer liquid drops and a freshwater salt to help him better breath. it seems to help. my only concern is the fin under him is splitting it seems to not bother him at this point but it does concern me. how do i fix this or is the splitting normal for a veil tail betta?
nehemiahludden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #10 
Myates

Firstly, do a change in the water and remove the salt.. bettas being freshwater fish they should not be exposed to the salt for any length of time outside of certain treatments.. bettas use labyrinth organs to breathe the air outside of the water, the salt will just start to affect his kidneys/liver in a not-good sort of way.

The split could be from a sharp or pointy decoration, over flaring or a filter that is too strong. The split should heal on it's own in a week or so - if it's missing pieces you could add in fin biting which a lot of bettas do.
Nothing you can do about the split fin other than to make sure to do your proper weekly water changes and good food, and it will heal with no problem.

As for the temp, you may be seeing something that isn't there.. had you changed the water right before you notice it, and that is why the temp and him is acting different? A degree like that is noticeable in the fish world, but both 78 and 80 are great temps for the bettas and are very much preferred.
If it was a sudden drop/raise he may be reacting to that, but he should return to normal as soon as he adjusts, which doesn't take too long..

Cute name by the way :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote