Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #1 
nehemiahludden

how do i set up my new betta with a 10 gallon tank?

i have a veil tail betta and i am going to in febuarybuy a 10 gallon tank for him with all the goodies. i need to know what all i need for the tank and what all types of food i can feed him.

Name:  20130104_131259.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  43.9 KB
nehemiahludden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #2 
Laki

A 10 gallon? You will need a filter with a controllable output valve and a 50w heater. Those are necessary.
Optionals, tonnes of plants. Silk plants and real plants are the best. Bettas love exploring and hiding and playing. Some caves (a mug will be fine but you can buy different types of cave to suit different decor and themes). Something like a betta hammock to stick close to the surface for the betta to rest on. Driftwood, terracotta and other dec.
As for tank mates, you can get some shrimp or snails (there are many different types of snails available now for pets. A lot of people like the apple/mystery snails. I personally like the nerites). YOu could also get away with adding some african dwarf frogs, cory doras' or small fish to the tank but be sure to research each type for diet and betta compatability.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #3 
nehemiahludden

re

i would like to know what all types of food i can give my whiskers so that he can have a variety diet and also be happy with a change in his food most of the time. i dont mind spending a couple dollars to make my friend happy you know. yes all my pets are my family and are treated as such. so i really dont mind giving them the best i can. i also would like to know if i can have more then one betta in one tank at a time for long periods of time. if not thats cool i just would like him to have a friend or 2 to keep him company as well.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #4 
nehemiahludden

and what type of filter will i need? please if you can send me an emial with all the items i will be needing for him. my email is nehemiahludden@gmail.com
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #5 
Bluewind

Hun! Don't post your email! Non-forum members might see it

Okay, for a 10 gallon you will need a heater, filter, hiding spots, substrate, and maybe plants and tankmates. The temp needs to be between 76 and 84 F. Lots of wiggle room there, but an adjustable heater is always best to get it right at 80.

A Veiltail is fine with a filter as long as it isn't crazy strong. A Tetra Whisper for 2-10 gallons should work fine as long as you always fill the water up to the lip.

As far as decor, make sure he has plenty of places to hid to make him feel safe. If you're on a budget, you can use glass objects that can be bought for pretty cheap.

Substrate depends on tankmates (some will need sand) but rule number 1 with Bettas is nothing sharp! Whatever you put in there must be smooth or he can nick a fin on it. Also, go for something that is easy to clean. Best options IMO is small smooth gravel or sand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-05-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Bluewind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #6 
nehemiahludden

ok and thank you how do i add some one so i can give you my email so i can get a list of all items and nmaes of items i will need for this setup and are living plants best? i think they are the ones that are always sumberged in the water?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #7 
Bluewind

continued...

Plants are a great addition. They suck up that nasty Amonia and are pretty/non-sharp decor items. Good options for beginnners are Marimo balls, Aponogeton (sp?), Anubias, Water Sprite, Java Moss, Java Fern, and Duck Weed.

Tankmates that keep the tank clean are always a good idea. Cory Cats are very popular. So are Otos. But if you want low mantanance cleaners, go for Ghost Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, or Mystery Snails. (don't mix shrimp types as they may not get along!) Shrimp are fun and funny little additions to any tank. Snails are good cleaners and much more fun than they sound! I have had both and love them!

When it comes to food, your betta needs a good quality pellet (pellets dirty the water much less than flakes btw). I personally use Omega One Betta Buffet and my little guy LOVES it!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-05-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #8 
Bluewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehemiahludden View Post
ok and thank you how do i add some one so i can give you my email so i can get a list of all items and nmaes of items i will need for this setup and are living plants best? i think they are the ones that are always sumberged in the water?
Just send me a PM hun and we can exchange emails that way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #9 
Bluewind

Other things ...
Water Conditioner and Declorinator (Tetra Aquasafe Plus, API Stress Coat +, and Prime are all good Brands)
Gravel Vacume (rather you have gravel or sand)
Turkey Baster (that has never been used for anything else to suck up minor messes in the substrate)
API Master Test Kit (to help spot issues with your tank before they become problems. Get it for $20 on Amazon)
Buckets (I have one to put my fresh water in before I put it in the tank and one for dirty water)
Thermometer
10w Cool (6500 K) CFL (a good light for plants that wont break the bank)
2 Towels (1 for the floor and 1 to wipe your hands on when working with the tank)
Food for the Shrimp and Snails
Clean jar that your betta can be floated in if need be
Net
Something to scoop water out with
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 01-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #10 
nehemiahludden

ok bluewind i have sent you a pm