Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #1 
Shane Stroud

Do I buy those fish?

This is my first post here, but I've been into fish for years. At the peak (15 years ago) I had 5 freshwater tanks, from 10 to 50 gallons, and 2 saltwater tanks. Now I only have three fish right now, all pets for the kids (teaching responsibility to four year old twins), and all from local chain stores, and they're veiltails.

Today I was cruising through a local store and saw a shelf label that said "Male crowntail betta" and they were going cheap. There were a couple crowntails there, but most of the fish on the shelf were male plakats. No doubt about it. I've wanted plakats for years, but never seen them in a store. Do I really need more fish? Well, it's probably not a need, but do I really want to pass up this chance to get a couple locally?
Shane Stroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #2 
Sixwolf

If you've got the itch and a big enough wallet, I'd say go for it, since you seem like a very responsible owner. I'm already planning future tanks, but for right now I'm just looking after my 5 gal, especially since I'm in college. c:
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #3 
Shane Stroud

I can definitely afford the fish the equipment to properly house and care for them. I don't like to ship fish, so I either have to find them locally or do without. And I definitely want plakats. I've just never seen them on the shelf like that. It's strange to me, and I suspect that a breeder was probably dumping old breeding stock or something. They just look so good...

I just have to draw a line in the sand. This far, and no farther. I'll have no more than so many fish. Now I just need to set a reasonable number. Maybe an even dozen or so...
Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #4 
Sixwolf

Yeah, as long as you set your limit and you have the plakats you want there locally, I'd say you're good to go!
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #5 
DragonFyre14

go for it!
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #6 
aemaki09

If you have the time to take care of them and the money to do it I say go get them!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #7 
DiiQue

Yup, go for it.. Because if you don't and someone else picks them up, then you'll end up kicking yourself for not buying sooner.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #8 
Bluewind

As long as the cost is budgeted as a luxury (something after bills and important things. The bit of money you spend on yourself every month) and you aren't putting a strain on your money and time, I say go for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #9 
Shane Stroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
Yup, go for it.. Because if you don't and someone else picks them up, then you'll end up kicking yourself for not buying sooner.
That's going to bug me to no end. I really had my eye on one male and one female. If they're gone tomorrow, I'm probably hosed. They did have a few nice looking crowntail males, and one black female, but those plakats are calling my name.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #10 
aemaki09

Definitely worth you getting those boys then!
The rule I follow if I go in a store and see a boy or girl I absolutely cant get off my mind, I'll wait a couple of days minimum and then go back, if they still have them I know its meant to be, if not then it's probably good because I have zero extra space.

I really hope they are there when you go back though!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote