betta fish
View Poll Results: has this thread been helpfull
yes 1 100.00%
no 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #1 
ilovebettafishandsuzys

New to bettas

hi i am new to this web site and i am going to buy some betta soon and i was hopeing that some one would help me out. i have all redy got a 2.6g tank a filter some fake plants gravel food and water primer/conditioner and am going to get a heater soon.is there any thing else i need to have for my betta. oh yha i also have a betta leef. if you can think of any thing else i need let me know. thank you
ilovebettafishandsuzys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hi there and welcome!
I moved your post into a new thread so hopefully more people will see it here and be able to help you.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Sounds like you have everything you need, other than a thermometer.

you might also want to get a cave or something for him to hide in.

And if your fake plants are plastic, get some panty hose and run it across the entire plant, if it snags then I wouldnt use them...or if possible return the plastic ones and get some silk or live. Thats the best way to go with betta's so their fins dont get ripped.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #4 
ilovebettafishandsuzys

thank you Olympia and aemaki09 for your help. and once more if any one can thing of any thing else let me no. ps i will be getting my heater this weekend. once more thank you
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebettafishandsuzys View Post
hi i am new to this web site and i am going to buy some betta soon and i was hopeing that some one would help me out. i have all redy got a 2.6g tank a filter some fake plants gravel food and water primer/conditioner and am going to get a heater soon.is there any thing else i need to have for my betta. oh yha i also have a betta leef. if you can think of any thing else i need let me know. thank you
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of helpful people here, and I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice.

Sounds like you're on the right track! You either either have, or are going to get, the essential items: tank, water conditioner, heater.

I also suggest a thermometer, so you can make sure the temperature is good. I like the intank glass "floating" thermometers which can be attached with a suction cup. For example: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752255

Aemaki09 had good advice regarding the cave and plants. I started with silk plants, and am now trying some lives ones.

As for hiding places - if you're looking for something inexpensive and easy, try a small coffee mug, or terracotta clay pot (with the hole plugged up or the back removed, so your fish doesn't get stuck). I've also got some small sections of PVC pipe from Home Depot that my guys like swimming through.

The betta leaf (hammock) is great! My fish love theirs! But check the back of yours. Some people said there's exposed metal, and they've pulled that section out. (Metal gets rusty in water!).... My hammocks are home-made, so they don't have any metal.

And, of course, post some pictures of your new fish once you have him!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #6 
Rosso1011

The only thing I see missing from your list is a siphon. I'm not sure how heavy a filled 2.6 gallon aquarium would get but having a siphon might be handy for water changes.

I would also like to add that you may want to consider finding a small storage container to keep all your aquarium maintenance items in. Seeing as I have some larger aquariums and I have quite a few of them, I have made a location for scrubbers, water conditioner, and medication (which you should not need at this point).
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #7 
Juditko

I'm new also. One other thing I would recommend is reading about some of the diseases etc so you know how to choose a healthy fish. I bought from Walmart and afterwords did my research here...backwards, I know. But one of the reasons we fell in love with ours was because he was enjoying himself swimming so much. I think I got him the first day he got there. Went back three days later and all the ones still left there were dead. So we were really fortunate. He's been healthy so far. People in the forum have way more knowledge than anyone who tries to help me even in my local Pet shop, so just keep reading and you'll be way ahead of where I was when I came home with Fish and then had to play catch up after reading here.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #8 
ilovebettafishandsuzys

Talking

thank you all for your great advice. my plants did not snag and looked into a siphon and i will be getting one soon. i have all so printed a page about betta fish diseases. thank you all and if you have any more helpfull info let me no.once more thank you all
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #9 
Laki

Hello and welcome :)
I cannot wait to see our new friend when he/she comes home. Are you going through a store or breeder?
Most people go store route. All of my fish have come from local stores but I would love a breeder's fish. Do you have a tail type preference?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #10 
ilovebettafishandsuzys

yes i plan to buy my betta at petsmart. i also want a full moon male. can anybody tell me what a moss ball does