Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #1 
Marvelous1

When do I change the water

I moved my mystery snail into my 5g with one male betta. The tank is mostly live plants with just a couple of silk ones. I think it's cycled, but to be honest I can't really wrap my head around the nitrogen cycle. I'm currently siphoning out 30-50% of the water once a week. My question is with the snail in there how much should I be changing out and how often?

Also if anyone in Indianpolis wants a free mystery snail PM me
Attached Images

Marvelous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #2 
Myates

Nice tank.. you are doing fine on the water changes - snails do increase ammonia by a lot.. dirty little buggers.. but your live plants will help keep it in check. No need to increase unless you add in more snails.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #3 
Marvelous1

Thanks Myates! You are always full of helpful info for newbies like me
Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #4 
Myates

lol thanks and you're welcome.. we were all 'newbies' once! lol
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #5 
callistra

I would never assume unless you test. How long has the tank been set up? I would gently use a siphon around your plants, personally. Especially in those wide areas where nothing is planted.

Also I'm concerned there seem to be a lot of die off with your plants.. melted black and brown leaves.. and that can add to ammonia a lot. What kind of light are you using?

I would invest in a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and see where you stand.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #6 
Marvelous1

I have a kit and can test this weekend. Some of the plants are new and are melting, but there is new growth on those plants also. I just trim the leaves when I see them turn all brown. Actually, the only one that is turning brown is the one in the back left.

Lighting is the zoomed bulb from petco. It is time to change it though.

The tank has been set up for probably 2 months, but some of those plants came out of the previous tank that had been set up for about year.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #7 
Myates

Only siphon the substrate in a planted tank 1-2 times a month.. the plants use fish waste as fertilizer and best to not take it all away.

Testing is fine, but the recommendation I gave is still correct.. don't want to over do it with water changes and live plants. Once a week at 30-50% is fine with this set up, including the snail. Can test just for your knowledge, but you shouldn't need to do more water changes. Keep in mind, some water conditioners will create ammonium from ammonia which will test like ammonia, but is harmless.