Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #1 
Firefly85

Talking super excited tank build

I wasn't sure where to post this but here it is, I am a few steps closer to finally getting my sorority up and running. I have been soo busy with the holidays and sick. i have been wanted this build done since september.
anyway I thought i would share pic's along the way. i have started to collect my girls slowly too. I hope to have it cycling this week. waitng on plants to arrive and i need to pick up a glass top.

ok enough rambling, i decided to make it a sponge bob theme for my daughter, and husband. so I took out the acrylic paints and got to work on my first painted back ground. I know people have painted the backs of their tanks one solid color but i had soo much fun doing this. here it sits on the stand empty but ready to get filled. i am so proud of my work. i hope this inspires you all.

my daughter saying "fish, fish, me, me, ooo preties"
Firefly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #2 
Hopelessaddict101

That is so cute! And well done! You are talented :)
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #3 
aemaki09

I love this!! Nice job!
I cant wait to see how this all turns out
Subscribed! :)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Haha, my VT has a spongebob themed tank complete with a pineapple and tiki decoration and small Gary and Patrick ornaments. :p I also painted something that I placed behind the tank but it was just the flowers in the sky and wasn't so complicated!
Good job :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

that looks great!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #6 
Firefly85

thanks i ordered my plant assortment last night. And i kinda cheated, I taped an outline to the inside of the tank like a coloring book and traced it with paint then layered it maybe 4 coats of paint. and a sealer. I also have the krusty crab shack on the way, a mr. crabs, and plankton.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #7 
Firefly85

So i am impatiently waiting on some things for the tank. plants wont be here till end of week is my guess. but the dwarf corys will be here by Wednesday at latest. they will be chilling in my 10 gal until the 20 is ready.
I buy the rest of my supplies tomorrow, and i will more than likely set the tank up with what i have until everything gets here. i am waiting on some decorations via slow mail.
I hope i dont find my self with a cart full of fish, lol

I am debating on getting more female bettas, or just getting a bunch of baby bettas and hoping they live and are female. i have lots of extra tanks waiting fish.

Once the 20 is up and running i am planing a NPT fuvual edge 6 gal, which
I hope to use for a shrimp colony or possible a king betta. but that could change as well.

Also the most awesome thing happened I am getting Cherry shrimp from a local source just by chance, and the person has tons of them and even breeds other fish. they seem super nice.

I am soo excited and can't wait to just set it up and get it running.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Awesome! I love cherry shrimp and female bettas... I set up my sorority tank today, actually :D
New tanks are always very exciting!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #9 
Firefly85

Okay so, I received my corries today i was surprised on how small dwarf salt and pepper corries are, they are chilling in my 10 gal, but now I am thinking about leaving them in there they are super active, ans seem happy.

I also got my cherry shrimp, but was too worried about them getting eaten and so poor Cheeto is going to have to move in to a spare tank while the shrimp get his home. I just know that they would get gobbled up by my other fish, including Cheeto since he even eats snails.

Since i am still waiting on my plant shipment, and the rest of my decorations to come.... hurry up fedex and usps. lol

I put my tank substrat in which is Caribsea black Floramax and gray petco sand, then filled it most of the way but not to much since I have more to put in.
Here is an updated pic

Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #10 
Firefly85

Okay for anyone who is following this what would you do for bottom dewellers?
I son't think I will be moving the dainty corys to the 20 since they seem really happy in my 10 and I don't want to disturb them.

I am thinking either albino cory or panda cory? I don't want to kill them off either, so i probable won't add them till at least a month.

I have two new girls and 3 babies waiting as well, and i want my female betta total to be 7. I know the risk i run with the babies turning out to not be female. but i am hopping to know for sure gender before adding them I will post pic's here.

I plan on doing a fish in cycle, the plants did arrive, i am thinking of adding more but i might wait or who knows i keep changing my mind.

I want blue mickey mouse platy to start. probly only a trio.

here r some pic's