Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #1 
bettaluver14

Question Where can i find pure Ammonia?

I'm getting a new 10gal tank (maybe tomorrow) for my male VT and i was going to do the cycling process using the least stinky and rotting way, pure ammonia from a bottle.
i didn't like the idea of letting fish food/shrimp rot... bleh!
and it'll be easier to dose and stuff. but, where can i find and buy it? can i find it in my local grocery store lol?
please help :3
and i already have a API master liquid test kit, too. so i just need my new tank and Ammonia :D
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

I know most people get their pure ammonia from hardware stores... I can't remember the exact name of the brand!
However, I got mine from my science teacher :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #3 
bettaluver14

Talking

Science teacher?! lucky :3 lol my science teachers have 2 tanks with chichlids in them hahaa they don't take very good care of them
anyways hmmm i will loook around. and, Petsmart wouldn't have any, right? i forgot to look today rofl
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't believe petsmart would have something like that. Generally you find it at hardware store. Beware, when looking that the ingredients are ammonium hydroxide and distilled water... Many cleaning ammonia will just say "ammonia" on the front but will have surfactant in the ingredients. Surfactant = no good! I believe my science teacher had aqueous ammonia and it was 29% ammonium hydroxide so he added some distilled water before giving it to me and he also wouldn't give it to me until after school got out :p

He was the first person I thought to ask because he teaches chemistry and he has a million different chemicals in his room.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #5 
irishcreep

The 99 Cent Only store by me has pure ammonia.
irishcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Without going into a lot of detail.... Pure ammonia has the formula NH3, and is a gas at room temperature.

"Household Ammonia," which is actually what you want, contains approximately 5% to 10% ammonia (by weight). It's the result of adding ammonia to water, which produces something called "ammonium hydroxide" and has the formula NH4OH, and is a liquid at room temperature.

So what you're really looking for is "household ammonia."

You can purchase this in grocery stores (including Walmart). Get the type that is unscented, and has no other additives. (Avoid the 'sudsy' ones, the colored ones, and the 'lemony' ones.)

You should see the ingredients listed on the label as: water, ammonia. (EDTA or tetrasodium EDTA is OK.)

The exact concentration should be listed on the label. (The cheaper ones are usually at the lower end.)

Here is a link to the one that Walmart sells: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Valu...64-oz/13023511

Be sure to read the 'caution' information. For example: Use the ammonia in a well ventilated room! The fumes can irritate your eyes, nose, throat and lungs. You can wear latex or nitrile gloves to protect your hands. Etc.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah, it smells. Imagine living in that! I'd just beware that it doesn't contain surfactants as many of the cleaning ammonias do.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #8 
bettaluver14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Without going into a lot of detail.... Pure ammonia has the formula NH3, and is a gas at room temperature.

"Household Ammonia," which is actually what you want, contains approximately 5% to 10% ammonia (by weight). It's the result of adding ammonia to water, which produces something called "ammonium hydroxide" and has the formula NH4OH, and is a liquid at room temperature.

So what you're really looking for is "household ammonia."

You can purchase this in grocery stores (including Walmart). Get the type that is unscented, and has no other additives. (Avoid the 'sudsy' ones, the colored ones, and the 'lemony' ones.)

You should see the ingredients listed on the label as: water, ammonia. (EDTA or tetrasodium EDTA is OK.)

The exact concentration should be listed on the label. (The cheaper ones are usually at the lower end.)

Here is a link to the one that Walmart sells: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Valu...64-oz/13023511

Be sure to read the 'caution' information. For example: Use the ammonia in a well ventilated room! The fumes can irritate your eyes, nose, throat and lungs. You can wear latex or nitrile gloves to protect your hands. Etc.
wow so it's a household cleaning thing? hmmm. and how much should i add during the cycling and should it be everyday? also, i'm going to be adding ornaments from Zuko's current 2.5gal to this 10gal...would that help the cycling?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #9 
bettaluver14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Yeah, it smells. Imagine living in that! I'd just beware that it doesn't contain surfactants as many of the cleaning ammonias do.
so if it DOES contain surfactants it'll be in the ingredients?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #10 
FishFriend9292

I saw some on Amazon that was made for aquarium use.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote