Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #1 
Kiwi03

Question New betta- tank questions

Hello everyone! Today was an exciting day. My boyfriend and I decided about a week ago to get back into fishes. I always had them growing up but got of them for various reasons.

Today I got a beautiful half moon betta who is red and white. He is absolutely gorgeous! I realized after I brought him home, that I have forgotten the basics on betta care... Bad mum! Anyways... He is in a 2.5 mini bow tank. Currently, it's just him and gravel as I only have fake plants and I'm afraid he will tear his fins on the fake plants. I will be getting some real plants tomorrow for him.

I have a couple of questions. What filter would be good for my 2.5 gallon tank?
I had a nano filter (small) but the current is too much for my little guy. It's an old filter so I believe the switch to turn the current down is broken because when I had bettas before, they were fine with this filter.

My other question is, does he need a heater? I never used heaters before with my bettas but that was a long time ago and I know things may have changed!

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Kiwi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Sounds like you have all the basics down!
Doesnt your mini bow come with a filter? you can safely use that if you want, just jam some filter floss into the intake just in case he were to get caught in it. I'm not sure what else to recommend other than a sponge filter, I normally dont use filters in anything but my 10 gallons and larger, the 10 has a sponge.
And yea he does need a heater, a good one is a marina slim heater, and theres actually ones specifically designed for the mini-bows. I cant remember what exactly they are called, but they are by aqueon. A 25 watt adjustable would be just fine to use too!! hydor theo and eheim jager are the most recommended.
Goodluck with your journey back into fish keeping!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #3 
SQUIRT1216

Fake plants are fine as long as they are silk or fabrics, might actually be easier if you dont want to care for the plants. If the current is too strong, just stick a sponge or something down the hole, prevent the betta getting suck in as well. Yes, you do need a heater.

PS. Someone has already answered your question while i was typing this haha.
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Like previously mentioned, a heater is needed along with an in tank glass thermometer to make sure the temp stays around 78-80 degrees. I have the 25 watt Hydor Theo heater in all my tanks. It's adjustable, and I'd stay away from any that aren't.

I'd recommend live plants over silk plants as long as you have the correct lighting and know what to look for because they will help with the water quality.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #5 
Sixwolf

For me, it was the output of my filter and not the intake that created the too-strong current. I just took a piece of aquarium sponge, cut it to size, and placed it over the output with a rubber band, and that worked great for me. It also works as an extra sieve for junk that gets sucked up into the filter. c:
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #6 
Sundancex

Hi Kiwi03! Cute horse! I have a QH and a TB myself. :)

2.5 mini bow is fine. Yes you need a heater, a 25 watt one would be perfect, they are readily available online.

Your mini bow should come with a filter, but at 2.5 gallons you won't be able to establish a good cycle so you will need to do regular water changes anyway. Therefore, IMO, you don't really need a filter.

Silk plants won't tear fins but the best plants are live ones! java fern, moss balls, and anubias are all very hardy plants that do well in low light conditions. the anubias and java fern get tied to driftwood or rocks, so it makes water changes easy as you don't have to disrupt the root system. Plants also sort of act like filters, they keep your water cleaner, require less water changes.
Sundancex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #7 
Kiwi03

Hi guys! Thanks for the advise!

Sundancex- I have two horses too! Both are Percheron crosses :)

The selection was limited with filters today. I went to two places and decided on the Tetra in tank filter which was geared towards aquariums 1-3 gallons. My betta seems to be tolerating the current ok.

What is filter foss? I am worried he is going to get sucked up the intake tube...

I also got some plants. I'm not sure what they are are called, but I will attempt to post a pic so you guys can see the starting of my tank!

I will also get a heater this week. I wasent able to get one today.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #8 
Kiwi03

Well, so far, so good with the new filter!

A couple more questions for you guys:

1) what heater would work well in my 2.5 gal mini bow tank?

And

2) when I feed my little guy, he seems to have trouble eating the pellets. He will take it in his mouth but then splits it out. He will try and grab it while its floating to the bottom, but misses. Could there be something wrong with his mouth and eye sight?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #9 
aemaki09

1. anything 10-25watts.

2. what pellets are you feeding him? Could be that they are too big -- I'd suggest picking up some new life spectrum or omega one pellets, thats the most common reason mine spit them out
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #10 
Kiwi03

It's Wardley Betta food. I will get one of the ones you mentioned ASAP!

Thank you :)