Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #1 
syds mom

Betta with nipped fins

Hello again, I was at a petstore today looking at Bettas and spotted a betta that appears to be a dragonscale in a tank with over 30-40 guppys. The guppys were nipping at his fins. His fins are nipped all over. At first I thought he was dead but as a guppy came near him, he took off and was swimmimg pretty good. Anyway, one of the employees came over and asked me if I needed any help and I told her yes, I told her to look at the fins of the betta and she couldnt believe he was in there with all of them. I told her that I wanted him and she said I could have him for free so hes here in a 2.5 gallon tank. I just filled the tank with water, threw a heater in and put prime and stress coat in.
I acclimated him to the water and put him in. So far he is doing fine, he is swimming around real good and I fed him some frozen brine shrimp and he eats good.
Now I know it will take time for the fins to grow back but in the mean time is there anything I need to do other than keep doing water changes each day?
Also I forgot to add, I dont have a filter in the tank as of right now but with doing water changes each day do I really need one now?
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #2 
bettaluver14

Talking

to speed up the nipped tail/fins you could always buy some Bettafix or Melafix at Petsmart(i use melafix for my VT betta because he bites his tail sometimes). some people say that melafix is toxic to bettas but i've been using it for mine ever since like...October and he's perfectly happy

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #3 
callistra

Highly suggest ignoring the above user. Sorry

Are they just nipped or is there actual rot. If they're infected you may need some aquarium salt to treat. If they're just nipped stress cost and clean water is the way to go. Also ial may be helpful
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #4 
syds mom

No fin rot, just nipped fins. I actually saw the guppys biting at them. It was like he was their dinner
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #5 
syds mom

I dont have any ial but I do have a large oak tree that has leaves still on the ground, Would it be any good to get some and rinse them off and use them? I thought I read somewhere on the forum about using oak leaves