Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #1 
LikeSeriously

Switching Food?

When we first got our Betta, he came with some flake food. My 7 year old has proven to be great at feeding our Goldfish. All of our fish and snails belong to her and the food and lights are her responsibility.

When we started to run out of the flake food, I purchased some Betta Pellets but he doesn't seem to like them. I can't tell if he is going back to eat them later or not but he definitely gobbles them up as I put them in and then spits them right out.

I'd really like to get him to switch to the pellets if it is at all possible. It would be so much easier for my daughter to count out 5 then to worry about her "pinch" being too little or too much with the flake food.

On the advice of our local store, I fed him nothing but the pellets for a week but I don't think he ate anything. I was worried about letting him go longer than that so we went back to the flake food. He also gets a few freeze-dried blood worms once or twice a week.

I have read that some people feed them flake or pellet food in the morning and blood worms every night. Should we be doing that? I thought of the blood worms as more of a treat than a meal. Also, his flake food does contain small pieces of blood worms but they are few and far between.
LikeSeriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Fast him. Dont let him eat anything for a few days, then try pellets, if he doesnt eat anything, then fast him some more, eventually he'll eat them!
No to the blood worms every night, those are like what candy and chips are to humans. they are good to use once a week as a treat, but thats it.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #3 
babystarz

He just has to get hungry enough. Also, try soaking them in garlic juice. Bettas LOVE garlic. Eventually he will eat them.

I agree about the bloodworm, as a rare treat they're fine but they shouldn't bed fed every day.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #4 
LikeSeriously

So instead of just feeding him the pellets, don't feed him anything? For how long? He went about a week without eating last time, at least I never saw him eating them. Wasn't sure how long he could go without food. Thanks y'all!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #5 
TheCheese909

What type of Betta Pellets are you feeding him? They vary in sizes and some are better than others.

Here are some different types of Betta foods and their sizes for comparison.

This one is anything but "mini", it's the largest brand of Betta pellets on the market and many Bettas have troubles eating it.

Smaller in size and easier to eat.

Everyone here loves these pellets, it's of the "higher end" brand.

My personal favorite, my fish love it and it's what I used to wean my Betta off of flakes.

My least favorite, probably because of the packaging lol, but it's actually fairly healthy for your Betta, roughly the same as the Aqueon brand.

NLS Small Fish Formula, is mainly used for Bettas who are young or suffer from bloating caused by bigger pellets and flakes. NLS (new life spectrum) also makes Betta brand pellets as well, it's the same ingredients as this small fish formula only the pellets are normal sized.

Pellets are better than flakes in all ways. I have a Halfmoon boy who hated pellets but I wanted to wean him off of flakes, or alteast to where he would eat them both. I didn't feed him for 4 days, don't think me cruel or anything, Bettas can live for a month without food and survive (not recommended to try) so a measly 4 days is nothing to worry about and neither is a week.

I soaked the pellet in some tank water, (which many people complain about it losing some or alot of it's nutrients, which is why they like to soak in garlic juice) and then placed a pellet in one at a time, using the Aqueon sized pellets, I fed him one that day and he ate it. The next day I gave him two, soaking them again and the third day I gave him 3, only the first one being soaked. Since then I have been able to feed him pellets without having to soak them at all.

With the average sized pellets you can feed about 5 of them, that's a good number. The Halfmoon which I speak of here gets a little bloated with the normal pellets so I only feed him 3 a day. If you find you Betta being too fat after feedings you can decrease by one until he doesn't look too big. Just remember a little bit of a pudge is okay and normal, you just don't want him to be having trouble swimming or anything.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #6 
LikeSeriously

Thanks for all the information! I'm using the Aqueon. He can pull the whole thing in his mouth so I think the size is okay but maybe he just doesn't know what to do with it really since it's hard. I'll try soaking them in tank water and see how he does. I also have some of the Betta Bites in the pic below the Aqueon but they were given to me and I think they are old. I don't know if they would make him sick or anything so I haven't tried them.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeSeriously View Post
Thanks for all the information! I'm using the Aqueon. He can pull the whole thing in his mouth so I think the size is okay but maybe he just doesn't know what to do with it really since it's hard. I'll try soaking them in tank water and see how he does. I also have some of the Betta Bites in the pic below the Aqueon but they were given to me and I think they are old. I don't know if they would make him sick or anything so I haven't tried them.
one of my bettas is very small still, I crush pellets and give it to him :) staple food lasts a bit more than the expiry date, but yeah not really trustworthy
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #8 
TheCheese909

No problem! :) I have two different types of Aqueon pellets I use alot, the one that's pictured above and another that is supposed to help with color enhancing, which I'm not totally sure if it actually does. I didn't show it because it's the same sized pellets as the original.

My Halfmoon I was talking about, Castiel, would take it in his mouth and spit it out as well. It happens, I was worried I was going to have to only feed him flakes. It wasn't that big of a deal but I like pellets more, but eventually I did the soaking them thing and it worked out perfectly for me. Hopefully it does great for you too. Good luck :)
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote