Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #1 
914joe

Question Question about transfering betta to new tank

I want to transfer 1 of my betta fish to a 6.6 gallon tank,i checked the ph in his current tank and it is about 7.2 ,the new tank's ph is 6.3 is there any danger in transferring him over to the new tank with the lower ph .
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes. That is a HUGE change in pH! Why is there such a big difference?

Also that low if pH can kill the BB I believe. Is there a filter in the larger tank?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 
SQUIRT1216

I think the pH level is a little on the low side, but i guess you could always do what you usually do to introduce a new fish. put him in a container with the old tank water then gradually add the new water in. Each time you pour in, wait for about 3 minutes and do so in small amount until you have more new water than old water. Fish store pH is probably different from home water pH anyways
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes but that large of a pH change can be extremely stressful. Even a .2 pH change is a rather large difference. If you do so, I would personally drip acclimate him over a few days just to be safe.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #5 
914joe

It is a new tank i have not put the filter in yet ,i will be transferring the sponge filter from the tank he is now witch is cycled.I don't know why there is such a difference in the ph ,it is the same water from the faucet that i use to do water changes in his current 5.5 cycled tank .
Old 12-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

Some things like rocks and driftwood can affect the pH... What decorations do you have in there? Are they both conditioned with the same kind of conditioner?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 PM   #7 
914joe

The tank he is in now has 4 small crypts and one anubia nana and one stone the new tank has 4 stones, i transferred 2 of the crypts to the new tank and the stone and the anubia ,The tank he is right now also has a cichlid cave and petco gravel a moss ball and 2 crypt plants ,i cant remember the name of the stones but i did have one in his tank since i have had him i just added 3 more of the same type of stones.I have not added the water conditioner yet maybe that might help, i will let the water sit for a day or to and check it again,i wonder if maybe the new substrate might have something to do with it , i am using fluroite and this stuff was really messy now matter how much i rinsed it it still made the water cloudy for a couple of days.here is a pic of the new tank not finished yet i have to add more water conditoner heater and transfer the filter over from the other tank ,thanks and Happy new year to you and every one here at bettafish.com.
Attached Images

Last edited by 914joe; 12-31-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: adding pic
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Okay... I'm not sure but I THINK those stones may affect the pH.. Can you test the pH of your tap? Since you moved some of the stones, I'd monitor the pH in both. Also test your plain tap water AND conditioned tap water. I found that the water conditioner I used previously affected my pH.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Stones raise PH. 6.3 is safe. If I remeber right 6-8 is the prefered range. Fish can be found in PHs of 4-10. http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Siamese_Fighting_Fish It might take a while to accliminate.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

If it drops below 6 the BB cannot colonize. 6-8 is the safe range really, but fluctuations are very stressful. They can adapt to any pH in that range as long as the pH stays stable. They would probably adapt to something lower than 6 but the tank would not be cycleable.