Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #1 
RabidAliver

Betta staying clamped at the top of his tank?

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets twice a day (two in the morning, two at night)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 50% weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven't tested my water yet

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It hasn't, aside from recovering from a minor case of finrot I treated earlier this week.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He just stays floating in the top left corner of his tank completely clamped up for 10-20 minutes at a time, and doesn't move at all, or he'll stay in the same position under one of his fake plants in the bottom left corner. When in the top left corner he usually floats in a straight up and down position and looks dead.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I have no idea of what's wrong. He has no bloating, still can swim fine, and all that so I wouldn't know what to treat him for.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, a minor case of finrot that I treated him for last week.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Anywhere from 10 months to a year and a half.

I don't know what in the world this is. He only started acting like this after I added in the tank heater, and even then I tested the heater for 5 days before adding him back in from the sick tank while treating him for fin rot. I don't think it's Swim Bladder Disorder, but I don't know. Please help!
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #2 
eatmice2010

Please test it , and are you able to post a pic. Are his scales pointing outwards.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

What I would try first-make some 50% water only changes for 2 days and see if this perks him up. You might also want to turn off the filter for 24h and see if this helps. Sometimes its the water movement that can stress them. Then get on a twice weekly water change schedule to maintain water quality.

Was he clamped in treatment-How/what did you treat the fin rot.

Keep us posted..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #4 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
Please test it , and are you able to post a pic. Are his scales pointing outwards.
I can't post pictures, but no, his scales aren't pointing out at all. Aside from the weird clamping and floating he looks perfectly normal.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #5 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
What I would try first-make some 50% water only changes for 2 days and see if this perks him up. You might also want to turn off the filter for 24h and see if this helps. Sometimes its the water movement that can stress them. Then get on a twice weekly water change schedule to maintain water quality.

Was he clamped in treatment-How/what did you treat the fin rot.

Keep us posted..
Alright, I'll keep changing his water then.

And he wasn't clamped during the fin rot treatment. I only treated him with Aquarium Salt for ten days and during that time I bought the heater for his tank, changed a good bit of the water before installing it, and then tested it for the remainder of the treatment. I don't know what's been going on ):
Old 01-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #6 
RabidAliver

While watching him I noticed he seems to be having trouble breathing. Could that point to something?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #7 
callistra

How long have you had this tank set up? Cycling can take up to 2 months, during which time you should ideally be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing a water change any time you see it hit as little as .25ppm. You would need a regular weekly 50% water change (including vacuuming the gravel) in addition to the extra changes. Eventually ammonia will spike then nitrite. Ammonia will go to zero then nitrite and you will be left with only nitrates which need to be kept under 20ppm. A lot of people will tell you not to bother trying to cycle anything less than 5 gallons, but you can try. That's why OFL is suggesting two 50% water changes a week to maintain water quality. One of them must also include using a small siphon to vacuum poop out of the gravel or using the stir and dip method (stirring up the gravel to bring the poop to the top then scooping it out with a cup of some kind). The two changes are only enough once your tank is fully cycled.

I would get your water tested using a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but especially ammonia. You can buy a kit (I always suggest having a kit on hand if you're not planning on doing weekly 100% changes) or some pet stores will do it for you for free but make sure they're not using strips and ask for actual numbers not "it's fine".

Fin rot and gasping are both signs there may be something wrong with the water and if you have not been doing changes as outlined above, there likely is.

What did you use to treat the fin rot last week and have you run carbon since then or done a 100% water change to remove the meds?

Last edited by callistra; 01-06-2013 at 03:52 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

How do you mean...rapid breathing, gasping at the surface...etc....Is he still eating okay and responding to you when you approach the tank.
Double check the temp with an independent thermometer.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #9 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How do you mean...rapid breathing, gasping at the surface...etc....Is he still eating okay and responding to you when you approach the tank.
Double check the temp with an independent thermometer.
He's just taking huge gasps of air once he's at the top of the tank and while swimming slowly, almost as if he isn't breathing as he swims. I've checked the water 3 times with a thermometer, they all say 78 degrees. It's weird...

EDIT: He also isn't really responding right away, and he seems very lethargic. Unlike normally where he swims all around the tank, now he's just kinda hanging around near the top or bottom of the tank. He's still eating too.

Last edited by RabidAliver; 01-06-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #10 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
How long have you had this tank set up? Cycling can take up to 2 months, during which time you should ideally be testing daily for ammonia and nitrite and doing a water change any time you see it hit as little as .25ppm. You would need a regular weekly 50% water change (including vacuuming the gravel) in addition to the extra changes. Eventually ammonia will spike then nitrite. Ammonia will go to zero then nitrite and you will be left with only nitrates which need to be kept under 20ppm. A lot of people will tell you not to bother trying to cycle anything less than 5 gallons, but you can try. That's why OFL is suggesting two 50% water changes a week to maintain water quality. One of them must also include using a small siphon to vacuum poop out of the gravel or using the stir and dip method (stirring up the gravel to bring the poop to the top then scooping it out with a cup of some kind). The two changes are only enough once your tank is fully cycled.

I would get your water tested using a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate but especially ammonia. You can buy a kit (I always suggest having a kit on hand if you're not planning on doing weekly 100% changes) or some pet stores will do it for you for free but make sure they're not using strips and ask for actual numbers not "it's fine".

Fin rot and gasping are both signs there may be something wrong with the water and if you have not been doing changes as outlined above, there likely is.

What did you use to treat the fin rot last week and have you run carbon since then or done a 100% water change to remove the meds?
I've had the tank set up for over 6 months now. I'm trying to find a drop kit to test the water, but my local fish store always has them out of stock.

As for how I treated him: I treated him in a separate 1/2 gallon tank with Aquarium salt, 1/2 a teaspoon a day (since while the normal recommendation is 1 tsp per gallon, I halved if for a half gallon) for 10 days with water changes. I reintroduced him to the tank at the end of the treatment and made sure to acclimate him the right way, so I don't know why he's suddenly having problems. He's also seeming extremely lethargic after I got home from work.