Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #1 
Stone

Suggestions on filters for 10 gal tank

Suggestions for 10 gal tanks that are low flo, I have filters that came with the tanks one is a tetra whisper 10 i believe it is ok but the causes a lot fo current in the tank and it seems rather rough on the fish, the other filter is a penguin 100 biowheel and yeah it pumps 100 gallons an hour so in that tank i just have plants till I find filters that have less flow and cause less current I believe if i put a baffle on the tetra it could work but the penguin is just way too much for a betta to handle and yes actually posting brands and model numbers will help me not just saying a filter with an adjustable outflow I want reccomendations of filters people have actually used and know they work well are relatively quiet and so on.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #2 
aemaki09

My absolute favorite filters for tanks 10 and under with bettas in them are sponge filters.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #3 
Stone

Right now I have 3 1.5 gal tanks and a 3 gal i use these little tetra filters that use just an small airpump to make the water flow they work nicely but wont handle 10 gallons, little to no current and just bubble noise, so you say just the sponge ones like for raising fry? the kind you hook to airpump?
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #4 
inuudo

I have an AquaClear 20 on my betta's 5.5 gallon. I have added a sponge to baffle the outflow spout (attached with rubber bands) and one of the Fluval Chi tubular intake sponges. It's very quiet. I had the same filter on my neon tetras' ten gallon until recently and replaced it with an AC30 when I added more fish -- you wouldn't need the 30 for just the betta in the ten gallon.
inuudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 
Bounce

I use this in my 10 gallon tank: http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/ati...-filter-1.html

It's the ATI Hydro Sponge Filter #1 (for up to 10 gallons). It keeps my water crystal clear and is very low current.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #6 
jinxhex

I use the Tetra Whisper 10i, I just rubber banded a piece of aquarium sponge underneath the output lip, works perfectly and keeps the water crystal clear.
jinxhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #7 
Nothingness

+1 for the sponge filters. I have one in both my 10g tanks and bought one to be used in my soon to be set up 55g sorority tank as well. Low flow and work like a charm. Cleaning them is a simple as squeezing them in the old tank water after a water change.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #8 
Elsewhere

I have a sponge on one of my two filters (it was a test run) and I am going back to get one for the size of the Tetra Whisper 10i because it's so strong... Hopefully it helps. You should try it too!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #9 
Fishybitty

I own four of these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regent-For...-1-ct/10313136 for all my tanks. I've never had a problem with mine. They are very quiet. They aren't very slim though, I would say they are typical size. The flow can either be high or quite low. They keep my water pretty clean.
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #10 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
My absolute favorite filters for tanks 10 and under with bettas in them are sponge filters.
I agree 100%. I got tired of trying to baffle HOBs for small tanks and always fixing them. My HOBs kept breaking down and now I have sponge in all the 10g and under. They work great. Also use larger sponge filters along with HOBs in my bigger tanks. The muck they remove is amazing and they have a good load of bb in them after week of seasoning in the big tank.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote