Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #21 
DiiQue

In posting this thread, I knew it would be a venture where I would not be making money. There are too many variables and too many expenditures that make this a hard business to make money off of. If you are dead set on trying it out, like the others said, make a list of the equipment, price them out, and then make some realistic projections. You'll need a fall back plan as well, in case the business doesn't take off (i.e., where will you get money to sustain your business for the first couple of months where you wont be making money).

I've been pricing things out and by my estimates, will be spending over a thousand dollars for a small scale operation, where my goal is to learn the breeding process first hand. Once I find what works best for me, I can concentrate on perfecting the fish (i.e. spending a whole lot more).
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #22 
Myates

lol.. I hope the sites I sent you helped in pricing.. I didn't price shop to the extreme, but where I got those things were at reasonable/low prices. Only second hand item was a 10g I got for just growing out some plants. I don't have many options where I am (very small town) for any used items, had to order 99% of things online.. so it adds up real quickly then.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #23 
DiiQue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
lol.. I hope the sites I sent you helped in pricing.. I didn't price shop to the extreme, but where I got those things were at reasonable/low prices. Only second hand item was a 10g I got for just growing out some plants. I don't have many options where I am (very small town) for any used items, had to order 99% of things online.. so it adds up real quickly then.
You've been extremely helpful and the sites/links/info you sent was what I needed to better plan for this. Right now, I'm just concentrating on fact finding so when I get back to the U.S. in August, I have my final list of what to get and just go on a spending spree. So for the whole year I am back there for training (employer is going to TRY to teach me chinese, for my next assignment), I already told my wife that the second bedroom would be a tank stock room. She said that would be fine (doesnt know what she just said "yes" to, lol). The one potential big ticket item for me is the betta barracks, which if I can find a good/simple design to plagierize, I will try to have manufactured while I'm still here in Mexico. I've seen BB's systems on her site and they really look nice, but need something not as massive, since I need it to be as portable as possible with my moving around.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #24 
Myates

I am working on a small scale design.. not going to use the filtration system, but going to house the bettas and a heater, etc. Mine are for wall shelving and wide open shelves... so small scale is doable if you are willing to do a bit more work for the water changes. It's more time consuming and precise than it is expensive to make.. but I believe it would be worth it as it's a bit neater and easier to keep track of the fish, etc. Can go to her site and ask for designs, there are a few breeders there that make their own and may be able to help you design one to fit your needs.. and they'll be able to tell you how.. I'll mail ya the link to the section :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote