I recently bought a beautiful red veiltail male from petco (Charlie). He was doing amazing until he a few days ago. He went to little fishy heaven today
I believe he died of ich as he had some white fluffy mold like substance on his fins and some white spots on his body
After doing some research I realize that I shouldn't have listened to the people at petco and just put him in a tank without cycling it or anything.
So I am posting this to find out EXACTLY what I need to do to clean my 2.5 gallon tank and get it ready for a new betta. So basically my questions are this:
1) How do I clean my tank to get rid of the ich parasite? I have already dumped the water
2) What items do I need to get? I have a 2.5 gal mini bow tank with lid and a mini bow filter. How can I make the filter less strong or should I get a different one since the filter pops out completely? I also have a 50W heater that is supposed to keep the tank around 78 degrees. I am going to be switching my sand to fine gravel.
3) How do I do a fishless cycle? How long should it take? What items are necessary to do the cycle?
4) Should I get live pants or silk? What about rocks (I have a lava rock that has a hole in it; Charlie loved it
5) I bought 4 ghost shrimp the same day I got my betta; 3 have died and I am trying to keep the 4th. What do I do to save this ghost shrimp? Should I get a couple more or a snail?
6) Should I order a betta from a breeder instead of getting one from petco? Will it be better as far as potential diseases go?
7) What medicines do I need to keep on hand in case of sickness? The actual names would be nice.
Please add anything that you can! I appreciate all your help. I know a 2.5 gallon tank is small but I really don't have room for anything bigger. I am willing to do whatever I have to make sure this next betta lives.