Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

I wouldn't... Get a test kit and test your tap water. The only reason someone would need a different source of water is if there is a high amount of ammonia in their tap water. Some people also use different sources if they have an extremely high or low pH. They can adjust to pH anywhere from 6-9... Anything over 9 is a little high and anything under 6 will kill the beneficial bacteria needed to cycle the tank.
Even with a low amount of ammonia in your tap, you could use a conditioner like Seachem Prime. That's what I use and it neutralizes ammonia for 24-48 hours which is enough time for the filter to cycle it out.

Also, the only way to be sure your tank is cycled is to test it, and during a cycle it's best to test re ammonia, nitrites and nitrates daily anyways. The liquid test kits are kind of expensive but they are well worth it and more accurate than the strips. Plus, the liquid test kits give you about 800 tests but the strips only give you like 25 in a box so you save a lot of money in the long run.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #12 
Tashaj46

Thank you so much AyalaCookieJar! I'm still pretty nervous after losing Charlie but I think I can make a nice home for the next one. If anyone has any other advice I would really appreciate it!!
Tashaj46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

Sometimes it's not your fault... Some of them are sick at the pet store. Local breeders would be the best way to go. Even shipping from a private breeder could cause stress that leads to illness.
If you continue to have issues, try another store. Sometimes they get a bad batch in. If you have all the basics, the most important thing for you to do is acclimate your new Betta correctly.

Even with the best care and most experienced keepers, they sometimes don't make it. I've personally had luck with my pet store bettas even when I knew nothing about proper care! So some of them are just hardier than others. Don't let the less hardy ones discourage you, though. They are really fun and you will notice a difference in a proper size tank with clean, warm water and healthy food. The ones in the little cold tanks just do not do them justice. Any Betta you get will be lucky and glad to have a caring owner!

Good luck! :)
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #14 
Tashaj46

What is the proper way to acclimate the betta? I had a pretty hard time with Charlie because he was in one of those tubs and it was really shallow; almost not enough water in it. Does anyone know of a betta breeder in Kansas?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

I'd post a thread in the classified section for the breeder question... I only know one in Missouri and two in Texas.

To acclimate him, first, you will want to float their cup in the main tank. If you need a cup to put them in (if they were to come in a bag) you can get an unused one from a deli. I got six of them with lids from the deli at my local Walmart for free. Floating the cup will let the temp stabilize. You should slowly add some water from the tank into the cup. You can use a spoon or something to do this. Add some water every 15 minutes or so while the cup is floating. You should do this for a total of 2 hours but take longer if you happen to have more time... You can't be too safe.

As the cup fills up, you can dump some water from it into a separate container. You can also slowly increase the time increments... Every 15 minutes, add a small amount of water for the first hour. The second hour, add every ten minutes, and so on. Some people say that you shouldn't allow any water from the cup to get into the tank. I don't do that because I don't want to use a net... It can damage their fins (however I suck up any debris at the bottom of the cup with a turkey bastor). I use nothing but cups to transport them and do water changes... All the more reason to get some cups from the deli :p if you use the lid, poke some holes in it.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #16 
Tashaj46

Awesome. Im wondering if it would be easier to acclimate him in a bag or in the cup....
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

You could also float the bag, I guess... But it would be difficult to open the bag and add water every time, I think. The cup is extremely easy to acclimate in and can be useful later on, as well, if for any reason he needs to be removed from the tank... You CAN use a net but it could harm him. However, catching with a cup could harm him if done incorrectly.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #18 
Tashaj46

I could for sure use a cup instead of a net. However, I have a net is there any need to keep it in water? Or can i just leave it out? What is the link to the classifieds on this site? I haven't figured out how to navigate the site yet lol
Old 01-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

http://www.bettafish.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140

I don't keep my net in water... I also use it rarely. But sometimes it comes in handy to scoop up uneaten food.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM   #20 
Tashaj46

So after doing some more research I notice that a lot of people suggest just taking the filter completely out of the tank.... Im thinking? that I will just get a small sponge filter. I don't like the idea of not having a filter. However, what do i do about water changes? i've heard 1 50% and 1 100% change is good. But isn't a 100% water change going to take away all of the bacteria that a fishless cycle would put in? Is it worth it to do a fishless cycle in a 2.5 gallon tank?

Tags
cleaning aquarium, fishless cycle, ghost shrimp, help needed, new betta and setup