Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Question Light timer?

So I read a lot that people have their lights on a timer so they will turn on and off at certain times on their own. How do you do this?

Like, is a light timer come built in to some tank hoods or do you buy it separately? How does it work?

I feel like this might be a stupid question but I've always been curious... If you can buy a light timer for a regular tank, where would you get one? I wouldn't mind links to one if possible :p

AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #2 
colorxmexravyne

http://www.petco.com/product/111981/...ium-Timer.aspx

^ I went out and bought this one about two weeks ago. All you have to do is plug the hood into the little outlet there, set it up, and you're good to go!
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Wow, awesome! Do you think I could plug an extension cord into that and plug more than one tank hood into it? I have four tanks, haha!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #4 
colorxmexravyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Wow, awesome! Do you think I could plug an extension cord into that and plug more than one tank hood into it? I have four tanks, haha!
I'm not entirely sure, but it can't hurt to try, haha. You could also look into this one. It has more ports so that you could plug up all your tanks. (:
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

Haha, but I have two tanks on one side of the room and two on the other so I would still need extension cords :p this would be great for when I will likely aquire more tanks, haha!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

For like $4 at Osh you can get the same thing, just FYI. There is nothing special about the one the pet stores carry, unless you get something that is super advanced for day/night cycles.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #7 
callistra

I'm sure they sell them at pet stores but you can also buy timers at Walmart, Home Depot, Ace Hardware.. lots of places.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

What section of Walmart would I find them?
Walmart is the only store near me. Do all of them work in the same way and can I use extension cords with them?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #9 
MSG

They're $3-$7 new.

• You find the automatic timers in the home improvement section. By the replacement light switches/nails & locks.
There should be 3-4 different automatic timers for you to choose from. (Decide if you want 2 or 3 prong timer.)

You can use extension cords on the timer, but it will turn everything OFF & ON that's connected to it.

Aquarium equipment for bettas usually don't EXCEED 1875 WATTS. (Rarely do they even exceed 75watts total)

As long as everything connected to the timer uses less than 800 watts of electricity, it should pose NO fire hazard.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks!
I only have four tanks and two of them would need to be connected to an extension cord. The other two I could plug directly into the timer. I have two tanks on one side of the room and two on the other... I don't think the lights from the four tanks would even add up to 100watts, lol :p