Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #1 
akyrissler

Treating Fin Rot- is my water temp too high

Hello...I am currently treating my betta for a fin rot with Maracyn 2. I am keeping his water temp at 84 degrees in a 1 gallon tank with daily water changes. My question is this temp too high for him? Before I started the treatment, he was constantly laying on the bottom of the tank...very lethargic, etc. But the medication is definitely helping bc his color has improved 100% and he is much more active. I guess I was wondering about the temp only bc now he seems to stay at the top of the tank near the surface. I know I have read to keep the tank warmer when you are nursing a sick fish back to health. I am using a 7.5W heater in this tank that is not adjustable. It's the smallest one I could find. Hopefully I am not cooking my fish (although he honestly seems to be so much better). Just wanted to make sure! Thanks :)
akyrissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #2 
callistra

That's an ok short term temp, as long as it's constant and not dipping around and he's not showing signs of being stressed about it. You'll not want to keep him permanently that high though.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #3 
akyrissler

Ok thank you Callistra for the input. I have no idea what is going on with this fish. He was fine today until I changed his water. Now he seems to be showing signs of swim bladder...his spine appears kinked and he is floating on his side at the top of the water all day. He just started this after I changed his water today...I had no idea it was so hard keeping a betta!! I am trying so hard to get him better but it just seems like I keep having one problem after another. sigh....
akyrissler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #4 
callistra

How did you acclimate him to the new water? It sounds like you may have shocked him.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote