Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #1 
Blacklight

My betta changed color

This is strange. We got up this morning at around 5:30am, and my wife went over to say "good morning" to our fishy. When she turned on the light, the fish was pale in color and not really looking like she was responsive. She was kind of behaving a little derpy. My wife said that she was laying on her side on the bottom leaning against her tank decoration. My wife said she was almost cream colored and seemingly had no energy at all.
I quickly did a test of the PH, Ammonia, and Nitrates and all three came back perfectly fine.
Then, when I went back to the tank five minutes later, considering doing a water change anyway, I see that the fish is swimming around. Her color is back. She seems fine.
What's going on? Do these fish color change that fast? I have no idea what stressed her. Her tank is clean, her water temperature is fine.
Do any of you have any ideas?

Last edited by Blacklight; 01-07-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #2 
Blacklight

The fishy is now regular colored again and is zipping around all happy. I'm thinking that she must have gotten herself stuck between the filter and the heater as they got pushed together during the last water change and I didn't notice. My wife said that initially she couldn't see her and it wasn't until she jiggled the filter that she noticed her. My wife probably saved her life and I learned a lesson. Don't put the filter too close to the heater.
The fishy is zooming around along the back of the tank doing her usual "zooooom!" pattern.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Glad she seems to be OK. remember they do sleep so when you first turn on lights you're probably waking her up. The pale color & usually horizontal stripes typically mean stressed so its possible she was stuck as you said.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #4 
Blacklight

Yeah. She was WHITE instead of bright red/purple. She was sitting at the bottom leaning against her decoration like she was exhausted and needed something to prop herself up. She was REALLY scarry looking. The last time I saw a fish look like this, it was on it's death bed. My wife probably saved her life in the nick of time.

She's completely back to her old self now and she's brightly colored, fanned out fins, and she's literally zooming around her tank as usual.