Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #1 
Nicci Lu

My Betta Just Ate His Maracyn I

Hi all, This is my first post to this forum. First, I wanted to say thank you to everyone on this forum. We just got a VT betta- I've never had experience with fish before, and thanks to all the helpful posts on this forum, our sick betta is now a recovering betta. So, I just gave Adorable Fish (our 3 year-old named him) a dose of Maracyn I and II. I added the packets directly to his 10-gallon tank. The little goofball chased down the clumps of Maracyn I and ate them. He didn't even spit them out! I called Mardel to ask if this would hurt him- the guy on the phone said no, but he didn't sound too sure. I wanted ask if anyone has had any experience with their fish eating the Maracyn, and if so, what happened. What do you all think- should I be worried?
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #2 
aemaki09

If he doesn't act strange then he'll be fine, if he does then I'd either do a 75% change or move him to completely new water just because he'll already have so much in his body. Then you'll want to add epsoms since its a natural diarrhetic and hopefully he'll poop out as much as he can of what he ate.
I imagine he just ended up with a much stronger dose today than normal but I wouldn't worry!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #3 
Nicci Lu

Thank you, that makes sense. It's been over an hour and he's acting normal. I'll just be sure and keep an eye on him in case. I guess from now on I'll have to dissolve the Maracyn in a bit of water before adding it.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #4 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci Lu View Post
Thank you, that makes sense. It's been over an hour and he's acting normal. I'll just be sure and keep an eye on him in case. I guess from now on I'll have to dissolve the Maracyn in a bit of water before adding it.
That would probably be a good idea
What I normally do if I have to medicate is pour it right where the filter outflow is so that if someone does chase it they can't get it fast enough, it also helps disperse it pretty well.

But as long as he's acting fine that's good! :)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote