Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #1 
LikeSeriously

Conditioning and Acclimating Before Move?

I'm just about ready to move my Betta and 4 baby Yellow Rabbit Snails into their new home, thanks to some great help from y'all! But I have a few more questions about setting the new tank up.

I've been using Nutrafin Betta Plus to condition my water, because it came with the original tank. According to the instructions, it says I should use 25ml of conditioner for 2.5 gallons of water. I'm sure this is just a less concentrated form of conditioner that the one I use for my 10 gallon, which requires only 10ml for 10 gallon. However, I just wanted to make sure that's the case (less concentrated) and that I didn't just misunderstand the instructions. It just seemed like a lot.

Also, once this bottle is gone, is it safe to use the Tetra brand I am using in my 10 gallon? It isn't specifically for Bettas so I wasn't sure. And I think I would add 20 drops of it for 2.5 gallons.

I know that my gravel will displace part of that 2.5 also, is it enough to make a difference in how much conditioner I should be using?

Right now I have my new tank, full of water and it is setting beside the tank that currently houses my Betta and snails. If I leave them like this for a while, will it be enough to acclimate them? Or will I need to bag them and float them in the new tank? If it will be fine, how long should I leave the two tanks side by side before moving the Betta and snails?

Thanks for any help with my questions. I feel so much better about everything since I found this forum.
LikeSeriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #2 
aemaki09

I don't use nutrafin so I'm unsure if you read the directions right or not but it sounds like you did.
It'll be safe to use tetra brand. I use it on all of my betta tanks
Use the same amount of conditioner regaurdless of gravel, it's better to dose too much than too little.
They need to be cupped and floated. Being next to the tank isn't enough to get acclimated to their new tanks temperature. Since its the same water as the old tank you really don't need to do a drip acclimation but do add some new water to old every once in a whole throughout the 20 min. process.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote