Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #1 
Lizdu

5 gallon

Hi all! I was wondering what plants would be best suited for a 5 gallon tank? I want to have one set up for the new betta once he arrives. Thanks!
Lizdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #2 
luckyswell

I have a betta that lives in a philodendron plant and he seems to love hiding in the roots! You can get them at almost any store that sells house plants. Also I've heard bettas like Peace Lilies! But mine really loves his philodendron :)
luckyswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #3 
Meggie6347

I love jungley looks in tanks...some good plants for this (they are also great at sucking up ammonia!) are hornwort, elodea (aka anachris), cabomba (I have not had great luck with cabomba in the past, but I have heard they are easy).

Some other great plants that are really easy are java fern, anubias, crypts, etc...and you could always go for a moss ball or two

Also, I am a personal lover of frogbit, and it grows like crazy in my tanks!
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 
Laki

Depends on the lighting. Plants can live in any space it seems, but lighting is important to their growth and health. My 5g canopy only holds a light on one side and in order to get a 6500K plant light in it I had to remove the protective rubber sheath.. So, it can get risky but mine is fine now. Been running for months.

I have floating salvinia, hornwort, java fern, anubias (don't know which variety), marimo moss balls and a small bit of floating hygrophilia which was left over from my dead mass. I keep anything I want to grow or get back to health on the side of the tank where the light is strongest.

It then depends on the gravel, soil. Some need soil and sand to grow while others (all the ones I have) can free float, be tied to driftwood or live in gravel.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 
Lizdu

I've put together my natural tank! It contains two albino Cory's, a mystery snail, two guppies, and a CT. They are all getting along beautifully.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #6 
Laki

What a nice tank :)Your betta might benefit from having more surface cover such as a betta log or semi-floating plants (real or silk)
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #7 
Lizdu

Thanks! I do want to get him one of those floating logs, and maybe one of those little leaves that stick on the side. My local fish store carries dwarf baby tears, and I love them, but don't know how I'd put that in. There's some hornwort in there. I guess I can float that.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #8 
Laki

Hornwort is fine to float. Mine floats all over the place, the boys weave. The betta hammock is a good little thing, I noticed mine only use it if there are a lot of plants around. I seen them testing out various areas of the real plants with their weight but then lay on the hammock. the only plant I have which supports them is the anubias and that's on the bottom.

I don't know if betta logs are cheaper online but in store here they're like 10.99. The only thing stopping me from buying it lol
Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #9 
Lizdu

Lol... Yeah, I saw that price and I held back. I'm checking if they go on sale.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #10 
sunlight

Hey Lizdu just want to ask how is your betta? I know you had problem with yours previous bettas to survive. So just want to make sure the new one is ok:)
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote