Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #1 
Green4011

Water temp of new water

How do you guys get the new water to be the same temperature as the water in the tank? I have a heater in my tank keeping the water warm.... Do I need a heater for heating the new water too?? Heh obviously I am still a newbie >_<
Green4011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 AM   #2 
Sparrowhawk

I have a spare heater I use for heating the water to the same temp as the tank water, but some people can judge the temperature of their tap water well enough with their hands to not need to do that.

If you decide to get a spare heater for just water changes you could spend a couple of bucks on eBay and get an el-cheapo one.

Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #3 
Green4011

Is it safe to use warm water from the tap? Someone once told me cold water from the tap has less bad stuff in it, but they were referring to it for human consumption. I just assumed it would be better for fish too if it was supposed to be better for me lol
Old 01-18-2013, 03:05 AM   #4 
Sparrowhawk

I guess that's safe to assume, but the water conditioners we use for our fish would likely detoxify most of the "bad stuff". Probably best to wait for someone with far more experience than I to comment on that!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #5 
ZergyMonster

The only reason warm water is bad for consumption is because most people have water heaters where the water will sit in the tank until used. If you use warm water often enough that your water heater refills every few days then you shouldn't have any issues.

As for using warm water for fish, there is no repercussions for using warm water as long as you're using your conditioner.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

I use warm, conditioned tap water on all of my fish tanks including the ones with the fry and I have never run into any issues.

Most of the time I just roughly gauge the temperature of the new water with my hand. I have never had any adverse affect on new water being a couple degrees hotter or colder than the tank water.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #7 
Myates

After a couple decades, I can pretty much get within a degree or so when using my hand for new water out of the sink.

Otherwise, I use one of those cheap, glass aquarium thermometers (the ones with a suction cup).. I will start to fill up the bucket/tank, toss that in and see what it says, then adjust accordingly.. continue to check the thermometer to make sure it's the temp I want it at and adjust as needed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #8 
Luxavior

I use a mixture of hot and cold tap water running at the same time and use a meat thermometer (never gets used for anything else) to measure the temperature until its near the same as what's in my tank, and keep monitoring it as I fill my bucket up to condition and refill the tank
Luxavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #9 
Otterfun

I used a thermometer and adjust with warm & cold tap water until the temp. matches that of the tank, then add Prime & Stress Coat+ to the water and pour into he tank.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #10 
Green4011

Good to know about warm tap water! That makes my life much easier lol definitely using conditioner too. I'll just keep the cold tap water for my own drinking haha thanks guys!!

Tags
temperature, water