Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #1 
minanicole

Question Live plant recommendations?

Okay, so I've been toying with the idea of keeping live plants in my betta tank. I'm waiting on some supplies to come in the mail so I can cycle it before I purchase a fish, and before I get started I thought I would explore my options for live plants.

The thing is, I don't know anythinnnnng about live plants. I've read a thing here or there, but I really don't know squat. So I was wondering what suggestions anyone might have! I'm looking for very low maintenance plants - I won't have any fancy lighting structures or CO2 emitting machinery or any other fancy gadgets I hear people mention every once in awhile. I have a 3.5 gallon currently but plan on upgrading to a 5 gall. in the next few months when I get the money.

I heard something about frogbit - it looked cute. And also, should I wait before or after I cycle to keep the plants? I know the BB need darkness to thrive, and so maybe it would be best to wait until after the tank is cycled to keep the plants in there (because I'm sure most need at least SOME light).

Suggestions??
minanicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #2 
SQUIRT1216

Hmm. I put live plants in mine and the water cycled fined, but that was my own experience.

I would recommend java fern since they pretty much grow without a lot of light and fertilizer and in big range of water condition. They grow decently fast as well. But they won't take root in substrate like other plants but rather in rock or driftwood. They might not look good at first but when they grew, they make amazing background plants.

My favorite foreground or carpet plant is dwarf hairgrass and baby tears. They grow slower and need more light and CO2 (which you could easily make yourself), but once they spread, they look amazing. You could look up picture online for those carpets.

For light, i just use a desk lamp and went to buy a good bulb from walmart around 10 bucks or so. DIY CO2 system was made from yeast and sugar which should not cost you more than 3 bucks.
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #3 
eatmice2010

Water sprites are good plants also i have a few :D
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #4 
Surferjo

anubias plants are nice and pretty easy to grow. Dont require much light and they will eventually attach themselves to some driftwood. I have it attached to the driftwood in the 2 left most partitions. Not all my plants are fully aquatic.

Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #5 
SQUIRT1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
anubias plants are nice and pretty easy to grow. Dont require much light and they will eventually attach themselves to some driftwood. I have it attached to the driftwood in the 2 left most partitions. Not all my plants are fully aquatic.

Is that a 20 gallon long? And what kind of divider is that?
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #6 
Surferjo

No its a 6.8 gallon (i made it myself). The dividers are kitchen cutting boards. with holes drilled to allow the water to flow across all the partitions.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #7 
minanicole

Wow this is exactly what I needed, thanks guys :)

Squirt: do you suggest root tabs too? For the dwarf grass/tears? And what kind of bulb? I'll be looking into DIY C02! I didn't realize it was that simple.

I ordered some anubias yesterday and as I get money I'll be ordering some dwarf grass and dwarf tears as well as some java fern and some others. Ill post pics when I am all set up :)
minanicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #8 
Juicebox

im not sure if dwarf grass tears are a low light plant, i may be wrong..

your best best is to get some driftwood and attach some java fern and or anubias to it. 2 great plants with low light reccomendations. also you should get a marimo moss ball,they look great and require no maintenance other than squeezing them once a week and rollng them over.u can out some java moss onto some driftwood or rocks,its a nice moss..

for floating plants you can get frogsbit, duckweed or dwarf water lettuce. all will grow in low light as far as i know and do great at taking nasty stuff out of the water..

ive read its difficult to cycle a 3.5 gallon and to keep a stable cycle in them.. also if your adding alot of plants that can possibly affect the cycle too as the plants will be eating the ammonia and nitrates that the bacteria eat.im not expert by far,just something to look into maybe if your trying to keep the tank cycled.most people dont bother with cycles in smaller tanks,they just do a 50 percent and 100 percent water change every 3 days or so to remove all the stuff the bacteria usually removes in bigger tanks..

i think you should buy your fish now,its no fun lookin at an empty tank, just do your water changes regular,put your plant u have in,your fish will be fine
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #9 
Surferjo

I agree with Juicebox. If your tank is that small just do the normal water changes. 5 gallons is pretty easy to manage.

Also are you filtering your tank? Beneficial bacteria needs oxygen to grow. if you dont have an air stone or an over the top mounted filter that will force oxygen into the water i dont think you will be able to get a good cycle going.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #10 
jjposko

If you are located in NE Ohio there is a great local pond/plant shop that raises all its plants on site year round. Good prices and beats having to pay for shipping. Let me know if you are interested and I will message you the name.
jjposko is offline   Reply With Quote