Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #11 
SQUIRT1216

No, dwarf is not low light, but if your tank is only 5 gallon or below you don't need an overkill lightfixture that cost like gazillion of dollars. I use three of these for my 10 gallons, you could just use one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-26W-CFL...-Pack/15040851

I'm not an expert but it seems to work for me

I use liquid fertilizer such as seachem (buy a 500 mL bottle, they will last you like a year with a 3.5-5 gallon) I don't knwo if they expire or not k can check later. I also use root tab but i don't know if needed
Name:  20121231_205905.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  66.0 KB

You can see i run into some algae problem (on the rock and greenish water) because dwarf hairgrass is sorta slow on growing, so you definitely want some fast growing plants like java fern in addition to outbeat the algae growth. I Only have hairgrass because i am doing an iwagumi style so the only plants i use were grass like or carpet plants

Last edited by SQUIRT1216; 01-08-2013 at 12:33 PM.
SQUIRT1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #12 
SQUIRT1216

And here what my diy co2 looks like, not very attractive, cuz i dont have space to hide the bottle. Or if you could find some cool vodka or wine bottle (if you underage then no), you are set with style haha
Name:  IMG_9500.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9501.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  38.1 KB

Last edited by SQUIRT1216; 01-08-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #13 
minanicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
ive read its difficult to cycle a 3.5 gallon and to keep a stable cycle in them.. also if your adding alot of plants that can possibly affect the cycle too as the plants will be eating the ammonia and nitrates that the bacteria eat.im not expert by far,just something to look into maybe if your trying to keep the tank cycled.most people dont bother with cycles in smaller tanks,they just do a 50 percent and 100 percent water change every 3 days or so to remove all the stuff the bacteria usually removes in bigger tanks..

i think you should buy your fish now,its no fun lookin at an empty tank, just do your water changes regular,put your plant u have in,your fish will be fine
I've heard that too. I guess I won't, I kind of wanted the experience of cycling a tank but I imagine it will end up being more work than warranted especially for a tank its size.

As for the fish, you don't have to tell me twice :)

Surferjo: I ordered a small sponge filter, and I figure even if I don't cycle my tank, I can still use it. And it will definitely come in handy in the future when I decide to cycle bigger tanks for hosting BB.

jjposko: I need to update my account, but unfortunatey I moved away from OH. :( I live in NC now.

Squirt: I'll definitely invest in some of these things. I'd like to get into aquatic plant keeping as I continue to set up aquariums. :)
minanicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #14 
minanicole

Red face

Okay so for my tank, I bought black gravel substrate. Should I return this and buy sand instead? I read that dwarf hair grass grows in a more carpet fashion when rooted in sand. Does anybody have experience otherwise?

Here is a tentatively finalized plant list (I won't get all at once, this is more of a continuous, ideal list of plants I'd like to eventually have) :

-anubias (attached to driftwood)
-java moss (to grow on driftwood - very scenic)
-marimo moss ball (just cute)
-java fern (to grow on rock)
-frogsbit
-watersprite
-ludwigia repens

I'm planning on getting some root tabs, seachem flourish, and a 26 watt bulb for desk lamp. OKAY. *phew* what do ya think?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #15 
jjposko

Did you check out the planted betta tank section of the forums? Alot of good info there...
jjposko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #16 
minanicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjposko View Post
Did you check out the planted betta tank section of the forums? Alot of good info there...
I'll go take a look, thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #17 
SQUIRT1216

Dwarf hairgrass suppose to grow carpet fashion not the substrate (but gravel tend to be harder for the new grass to go through). If you look at my pic, it is going to look like this (hopefully) haha
http://images.wikia.com/youtubepoop/...Pride_Rock.jpg

And if it works out, it should look like this
http://76.my/Malaysia/eleocharis-par...quashop@13.jpg

You need some layer of soil below your sand as well.

It is a good list i think. But it would be slightly challenging for that many plants to grow in a 3.5 gallons. But it should be possible.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #18 
minanicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRT1216 View Post
Dwarf hairgrass suppose to grow carpet fashion not the substrate (but gravel tend to be harder for the new grass to go through). If you look at my pic, it is going to look like this (hopefully) haha
http://images.wikia.com/youtubepoop/...Pride_Rock.jpg

And if it works out, it should look like this
http://76.my/Malaysia/eleocharis-par...quashop@13.jpg

You need some layer of soil below your sand as well.

It is a good list i think. But it would be slightly challenging for that many plants to grow in a 3.5 gallons. But it should be possible.
hahahaha goal in life: recreate pride rock scene. such an inspiration.

It does seem like a lot - I think I'll go for it though. See what happens. Like I said, I'll be adding a little bit at a time so if at any time I think the tank doesn't need anything more, I can always just stop adding things.

And I'll return the gravel for sand, and some soil. Regular potting soil? Or special aquatic soil?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #19 
SQUIRT1216

I just bought whatever soil they have at the live plants section of the store haha, i believed it called flora max
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #20 
minanicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRT1216 View Post
I just bought whatever soil they have at the live plants section of the store haha, i believed it called flora max
hahaha fair enough. This is what I'll do today after school. X)