Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #1 
aemaki09

My new rescues first meal!

So I found this poor little boy in walmart today. He was in the dirtiest cup there that still had a live betta in it. I wish I had taken a pic, but I did measure the ammonia and it was at between 3-4ppm.
So I talked to the manager, showed him all the dead betta's on the rack, and explained that he needed to take better care of the fish in his store, that its horrible he lets customers see them like this, and that I wanted this one but I don't want to pay full price for one that will probably just die within a matter of a few days. SO, he let me take him home for 50cents.
I got him home, tested the water, i added fresh water to his cup at the same temp to cut down a little of the ammonia, and then acclimated him to his new home. He was a little iffy for the first 4-5 hours, but he started pirking up when he finally noticed the male next to him, so I figured I'd try to feed him. It was so sad to see how he looked at it at first, like he didnt know what it was. Then he took his first test bite, and he was on a mission after that.
Here you go!

Looking around

What is this??

Hmm, doesnt taste so bad!

Uh oh!!

Finally Satisfied!

Just want to mention, yes that is a .5 gallon. I am QT'ing him in this until I get all the 2.5's I ordered from petco in the mail in a few days.

EDIT:: Should I be worried about that white stuff on his chin? he doesnt have it anywhere else on his body so I'm not sure if its just opaque scales or what? Its not fuzzy or anything, just white like you can see in the pics.

Last edited by aemaki09; 12-26-2012 at 06:03 PM.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #2 
fleetfish

They look like scales to me. I'm glad that you brought him home, he will be a gorgeous boy when he's feeling better!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #3 
aemaki09

Thanks! I noticed he was a marble, and was going to take him home regaurdless of wether I got the discount or not, but it was worth a try and I succeeded. I figured even if it was just a few days, he'd atleast have a good rest of his life and wouldnt die in that cup.

He's already started to color up. His base color is pink and his marbling is either purple or blue. KINDA hoping its purple just because I've never even heard of a pink and purple fish, but I'll have to wait to see.

Thanks for replying! Glad to know those scales arent anything to worry about! The last marble I bought died after 2 weeks of me trying to treat him so I'm overly worried this one will too, especially after seeing how bad that ammonia was!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #4 
fleetfish

I have a pink/purple VT guy named Petunia ;)

As long as he's eating something he should be okay. My rescued boy Aztec eats nothing but frozen food ... so it's been tough to see what he likes and whatnot.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #5 
aemaki09

Yeah the other one didnt eat at all the entire time I had him so I'm glad this one is.

you should post a pic of petunia! haha I'd love to see!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #6 
Noobetta

berry prettay
Noobetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #7 
jfield

Wow, lucky fish with a lucky owner! He seems like a crowntail to me!!!
jfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #8 
aemaki09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfield View Post
Wow, lucky fish with a lucky owner! He seems like a crowntail to me!!!

yeah, he's a CT, his rays are just really un-even
Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #9 
hannah16

You got HIM! For $0.50!!! That's wonderful, he's BEAUTIFUL. I'd pay full price regardless too. My Walmart takes horrible care of their fish =/ I've had to call the store twice as I was leaving to get water changes done because I couldn't do it myself.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #10 
Solaris

What a wonderful fish!

I just love that second picture! He looks so curious!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote