Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #11 
Kytkattin

It depends on how dark you want the water. If you are just using them as preventative measures, you could go with as little as 4 inches of leaf (my leaves are about 7-8 inches so this is half) for 2-3 gallons and still see a difference in activity, but not color the water much (depending on the leaf, some do more than others!). This way they last a long time, especially if cost is a factor.

If you are breeding fish, or have a sick fish, I would add a whole leaf (broken up if you want to release tannins faster) to that same amount, not exceeding 2-3 leaves per 25 gallons. Males often build bubble nests off them while they are floating.

Of course some people also simply don't like the leaves in their tanks at all, so they use hot (100 degrees) water to brew it as a sort of tea, and then once the water is cool add that to the betta tank. Similar to the extracts in a link someone posted above. Too much trouble imo, plus you lose the benefit of other organisms like snails and shrimps eating off the plant if you have them and the fish getting to hide under/around it, but as I said, some people don't like the leaf in the tank at all.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #12 
aemaki09

Thanks so much for the info!
Very helpful
How big are the leaves whole? You said 4" of leaf, that would be like half or something?
I guess I can figure it out as I go, It's just something I've never looked too much into because I've never found any that seem worth the price. I'm definitely going to get some from the 1st ebay link you posted with the free shipping though. Thats the best price I've seen although I'm not sure how many leaves that would round out to lol
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 AM   #13 
Kytkattin

It really depends. This seller lists small leaves as 5-7 inches, with most of the "small" ones I get from her being 7, often closer to 8, but they are also grade A and were a substitution for the larger leaves (which are harder to find, hence why she had to sub). For the first link, she said about 25 pieces of various sizes is what you would get. A great starter kit, imo. At the very least, nice to have on hand for a sick fish if you decide not to use them all the time.

I guess I use about 2-4 inches of leaf per gallon. Someone else might have a better idea or rule for dosing. I don't think you can overdose them, you just want to make it cost effective.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #14 
aemaki09

Yeah, I dont thinky you can over dose them either, but I dont want to use too much then run out too fast, or use too little and it make no difference

Anyways, I'll definitely be checking into getting that 1st package and seeing how it goes!!
Thanks for all the info

AND to the OP -- So so sorry for jacking your thread!!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #15 
Nothingness

I bought from that ebay seller and she sent me two seeds to grow my own IAL tree along with my order for free.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #16 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Yeah, I dont thinky you can over dose them either, but I dont want to use too much then run out too fast, or use too little and it make no difference

Anyways, I'll definitely be checking into getting that 1st package and seeing how it goes!!
Thanks for all the info

AND to the OP -- So so sorry for jacking your thread!!
its nit thread jacking if it stays in topic and supplies people with information they originally came to the thread for
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #17 
angelfish11788

great thread. OPs post help a few more :)
angelfish11788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #18 
Myates

Purchase before last I bought 100 grade A 8 - 12" leaves from Thailand for $25 total.. so would check around when looking to purchase, usually you can get them cheaper from overseas than from American sellers.. just may take a bit longer to receive.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote