Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #1 
maggie9059789

Liver and Kidney Damage By Paint

So three days ago, my male halfmoon betta had raised scales when I woke up, today is the third day of epsom salt treatment (2tsp/gal) and i've tried feeding pellets soaked in general cure but he's not willing to eat it even when soaked in garlic.

Anyways:

So i was listening to a lecture given to my bio ap class today and I think I thought of a really likely scenario of what happened to tarris. The cave with the paint bubbling off was most likely leaching toxins into the water. And he was fine at the beginning and it didn't show symptoms of it bothering him since his liver and kidneys were working to clear it out of his system. But the toxins kept getting leaked into the water, and over time, it had bombarded his liver/kidneys, and with liver/kidney damage, the scales raised as a symptoms of internal organ problems. So, how bad do u think the damage was? Is it too late for a turn round regarding his liver, I know its really hard if not impossible for livers to repair itself and will be permanently damage, but yah is there anything I could do still? the cave was in for 2 weeks... it was bubbling more of on the inside and in the back....
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #2 
maggie9059789

and should i order kanaplex off bigalspets right away anyways? should that be benificial in this case? and another question (sorry for all the questions) for kanaplex, am i to add it into his water or am i soaking his food or both?

and in the meantime before kanaplex arrives, should I continue with soaking pellets in general cure and with garlic guard if i can get it at LPS in half hour? and lower the dosage to 1tsp per gal of ES so it'd be easier on his liver
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I know nothing about kanaplex, sorry, but do a 100% water change and a low dosage of Epsom salts should help ease the swelling. You will have to make special arrangements if you want him to heal. I would think that some of the damage is permanent, but if you give him time and keep the load off his liver, he should get himself back to functionality. You will have to be very vigilant about his water and any additives, like absolutely zero ammonia and nitrite. I will add that all plastic decorations leech chemicals, I would keep him in a heated glass bowl. Do lots of water changes too!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #4 
maggie9059789

um so heated glass bowl to 82*f,100% water changes daily, garlic juice (from minced garlic) to pellets to boost immune system(soak pellets in the juice i mean)

and all my plants are silk/plastic.. um it's plant or empty bowl, as his other cave i'm scared i might sill be contaminated with the pain stuff from the other cave

am i missing anything? and stop the genea cure soakin in pellets right? he doesn't show bloated umm or popeye,his tummy always had a bit of grey (he's like a yellowy kinda seethrough like really pale fish even when healthy)so i don't think its really dropsy, but he is really inactive, and has trouble swimming and shimmies a bit, haven't seen white stringy poop though to say it's parasitic, not sure about bacteria infection, kanaplex is supposed to help with bacterial internal stuff though but im unsure of that