Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #1 
Pandlers

Good Setup?

I've had a ten gallon cycling for about 5-6 months now. It's main inhabitant (a dwarf puffer) died sadly due to my mistrust in a roommate. :C I decided against getting another puffer and went with a betta this time. I've heard they're a lot more hardy than puffers at least - and beautiful to boot. I went to my local petco, and ended up falling in love with one of the baby bettas. I know they're a bit harder to take care of than adults, but the little fella captured my heart more than the full grown beauties did. This is my little Pontus:

I replaced the sand in my tank with bigger rocks because I read that sometimes bettas get curious and eat the sand and then end up choking on it. Pontus's tank mates are two golden rabbit snails, a ghost shrimp, and an algae eater shrimp. I wanted to make sure that everything is okay for my little fella, and that there are no hazards or other things I'm doing wrong.

He's currently hiding in the back by the heater that's behind the little temple thing. I figure he's just getting used to his new place and is a little shellshocked or something. I am a little worried about feeding him however - when I tried to earlier he didn't notice the food... But as I said before, he's in a new place and probably just needs to warm up to it. C: So is this okay for my baby, any tips or suggestions?

Last edited by Pandlers; 01-07-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Pandlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #2 
eatmice2010

That tank looks amazing, I have no alterations to give
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #3 
aemaki09

What temperature are you keeping the tank at?

The tank looks good, but plastic plants tend to be a hazard for bettas (rips their fins) I'd get a piece of panty hose and run it against the plants (and other decorations) to see if it catches on anything - if it catchs on panty hose it'll tear fins- if that happens you can replace the plants with live or silk and sand the other decorations down

Betta's also like a lot of hiding spaces so decorating a little more heavily with a cave or two and some more plants wouldn't be a bad idea if you wanted
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #4 
Pandlers

I'm keeping my tank at around 78-80. I keep my thermometer (it's an elite brand) in the opposite corner of the heater on the other side of the tank so I can get an a better idea of the tank as a whole. I do have to keep the heater turned all the way up to maintain these though - so I'm considering getting another heater. I'm also a little nervous about Pontus being so close to the heater. My puffer was like that at first too, and she didn't get burned, but I still worry about the possibility.

I also chose the plants that had rounded edges, but I'll run the hose over them to double check. I heard you can also sand or file problem spots to smooth them out, do you know if that's true? I'd already planned on getting some to put over my intake tube on my filter anyway. I'll look around for another cave-like object to add as well - I'm just a tad bit picky - I want to make sure it matches my theme and all. C;
Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 
Surferjo

I think for the babies you should try to stay around 80. I had to crush my pellets up to get her to eat. I use omega one's and they are small to begin with. Tank looks good. If you have a bur on the plant just trim it off with a scissors. Do you have a filter?
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #6 
Pandlers

I'll check the temperature over the course of tomorrow to make sure it's stable around 80 - if it doesn't stay or get up high enough, I'll look into new heaters.

I read that you had to crush them - so I bought Aqueon BettaFood to crush as well as Hikari First bites (those were REALLY small though). Pontus didn't really notice them when I dropped them in in tank though - I'm guessing that he's just getting acclimated and he'll notice them later once he warms up to the tank.

I have an aquaclear20 filter. My last fish was messy and I had to make sure the tank stayed clean, I was advised by the fish person at my petco (who are surprisingly knowledgeable! most of the ones at my store are actually fish hobbyists themselves) to get a filter that was meant for a bit more than a 10g tank. I baffled it (I think that's the term) with a plastic bottle and decreased the intake flow to lessen the current it caused.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #7 
Surferjo

That filter is fine for your bioload. Betta's are not very dirty fish. They are terrible swimmers so current can be a problem.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #8 
Pandlers

Well that's good! I was afraid that it might be too much, and I didn't like the thought of having to buy another one since this cost a decent amount of money. I know it took a long time for my puffer to come around and like me and not be shy - do you know how long it might take for a baby Betta? Or any other things I should know for the future?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #9 
Surferjo

I had my baby for about 3 months. She was by far the most active of my 3 bettas.

He/She will be at the surface of the tank waiting for food in a day or 2.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #10 
Pandlers

Had for three months? Did something happen? D:

And that's quick! I'm looking forward to that then!! C: