Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #1 
Julio1983

Best place to keep my betta

Hi everyone!

I got my little fishy a week ago and i am still trying to figure out the best place to keep him.
He is in a 3.4 litre tank with a heater.

Originally i had him on the kitchen window sill, however i moved him to the bench as we have had some really hot days and i didnt want his tank to get too hot.

The place i have moved him to is more shady, and yesterday when i got home i noticed he had spent all day making a huge bubble nest! I guess this means he likes this spot?
I am just a little concerned as hes on the kitchen bench near the kettle... is that something to worry about?

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks
Julio1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #2 
Xaltd1

GREAT that you have a heater!
The safest place for your happy betta is as far from a hot or cold spot as possible. Once, I had a little tank of shrimp with a heater. My front door accidentally blew open on a cold day. By the time I felt the draft, my poor little shrimp were dead :0(
So I'd find a spot not too near a stove or door. Maybe the top of your dresser or nightstand? Somewhere where he can see you every day. They can recognize people and will come up like puppies to be fed! I love to give treats to my bettas, but I know it's dangerous to feed them too much.
Good Luck!!!!!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #3 
Julio1983

ok so the move from the window was a good idea then...
i think he already recognises me because even if ive come home from work he swims up to the front of the tank and swims back and forth for me :)

ideally i guess i would like to get him out of the kitchen area because im worried it might be too much of a noisy area for him
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #4 
Xaltd1

See how he reacts to the noise. he may like it. as long as he's not near anything that gets too hot!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #5 
Julio1983

ok cool ill keep an eye on him... he seems pretty happy so far...
ive never had a fish before so i want to make sure im being a good owner :)
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

That's great; I don't think 90% of people who buy a little fish have that attitude! GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #7 
Julio1983

i am an animal lover thats for sure... big or small if im going to have a pet i want to give it the best life possible :)
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #8 
maycausedeath

I keep my betta in the kitchen. It started off as temporary, but everyone liked it so much they wouldn't let me move him

He doesn't seem to be bothered by the noise and likes all the activity. I'd say as long as he's away from drafts as said above you're good to go.
maycausedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #9 
Julio1983

well thats good to know... hopefully when we get his new tank he can stay there as he is in a bit of a small one at the moment (im ashamed to admit it!)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #10 
Kytkattin

Don't be ashamed. Some (most?) of us have done some really terrible things to betta fish when we were learning. And even some of the best breeders/keepers on this site have had stupid things happen like fish jumping out, dividers failing, heaters malfunctioning and frying the fish, decorations causing injury, etc. As long as you tried your best, no regrets!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote