Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #1 
Mal72

The truth about BettaFix medicine?

Hello everyone, I have posted earlier about my 3 y/o VT named Flare. He has been diagnosed with Fin Rot, so I have been taking necessary steps to try and cure him. I moved him from his 5 gallon to a 1 gallon so I could better administer the proper medications. His tank is currently 80 degrees and I have been keeping it very dark (towel around it). I have been giving him 100% water changes every 4-5 days and always check the balances before putting him back in the water (after a 20 minute adjustment). I use regular tap water and put Stress coat in it, as well. I feed my boys and my girl (2-3 New Life Spectrum pellets, twice a day or freeze dried as treats, but I recently got Frozen Brine Shrimp. I am going to try that today since Flare has not eaten anything else for a week. I asked a friend who has a Masters in Marine Biology what I should give him to treat the fin rot and he recommended BettaFix, but said that I should try to feed him first and then treat him. I asked a vet at Petsmart and she said the same, then I looked at reviews on the product and they were mostly positive. But when I came on here, I discovered that one person had used BettaFix and lost their fish. I have called all of the pet stores in my area and none of them carry the proper antibiotics. I understand that I have both Flare's age and his lack of appetite working against me, but I have grown very attached to this fish and want to try to save him. I haven't opened the BettaFix yet, but I don't know what else to do. Please help!!!!

*He looks so miserable in this picture, but I wanted to show how much his color has faded...
Attached Images

Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #2 
callistra

Bettafix isn't going to touch this. In a 1g while he is sick I would do 50% every other day and 100% weekly. Some people say even more. The minimum is twice weekly and that's for healthy fish.

I don't know what else to tell you other than the info I have already given on your other thread.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=125246 Which was to stabilize temps, keep clean water, and find antibiotics..

Last edited by callistra; 01-15-2013 at 12:12 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #3 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Bettafix isn't going to touch this. In a 1g while he is sick I would do 50% every other day and 100% weekly. Some people say even more. The minimum is twice weekly and that's for healthy fish.

I don't know what else to tell you other than the info I have already given on your other thread.. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=125246 Which was to stabilize temps, keep clean water, and find antibiotics..
I don't mean to keep asking and being annoying :/ I asked the local petstores about Kanaplex and they all looked at me like I was crazy. I'm not sure what else I can use--that I don't have to order online; since I don't know how long it would take to get.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #4 
callistra

You're not annoying, I just don't know what else to add :(

Where are you located?

Try yellowpages.com and call anything that comes up for "aquarium" "fish" or "pet".
Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You're not annoying, I just don't know what else to add :(

Where are you located?

Try yellowpages.com and call anything that comes up for "aquarium" "fish" or "pet".
I live in Saint Augustine, Florida. I'll be sure to check it out.

I'm wondering if I should try aquarium salt and then order Kanaplex via Amazon? I'm planning on giving him a 100% water change today and I'm hoping that he will eat some Brine Shrimp.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #6 
callistra

I don't think AQ is going to touch this, but it won't hurt him for a short time.

You can also try Maracyn Plus.. Furan 2 maybe
Old 01-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Sadly, he may be aging out and not a lot can be done-with that said, you don't want to give up too soon either-especially since he has a special place in your heart.

What I would recommend at this point-Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and heavy tannins-either IAL or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf.

I would keep him in the 1gal with half the water removed-no filter or water movement, water temp in the 77-78F range-cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ. Add either a crushed IAL or 4-5 crushed Oak leaves to the tank-then using a small cup half full with hot dechlorinated water add 2tsp of Epsom salt to dissolve-the hot water will make it dissolve faster-Once dissolved-fill it up with some of the tank water-then over the next 30min add the Epsom salt.

Turn off the light, cover the tank to provide a dim lit quiet location. Offer small amounts of food and remove uneaten. If you have access to live mosquito larva-offer a couple rinse and see if that will stimulate his feeding response.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add 3tsp/gal Epsom salt and the tannin source-IAL 1 large crushed/gal or Oak leaf-20 crushed per gallon.
Use this premixed treatment water for 50% water changes every other day to every 3 days-leaving him in the tank for the water changes.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #8 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Sadly, he may be aging out and not a lot can be done-with that said, you don't want to give up too soon either-especially since he has a special place in your heart.

What I would recommend at this point-Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and heavy tannins-either IAL or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf.

I would keep him in the 1gal with half the water removed-no filter or water movement, water temp in the 77-78F range-cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ. Add either a crushed IAL or 4-5 crushed Oak leaves to the tank-then using a small cup half full with hot dechlorinated water add 2tsp of Epsom salt to dissolve-the hot water will make it dissolve faster-Once dissolved-fill it up with some of the tank water-then over the next 30min add the Epsom salt.

Turn off the light, cover the tank to provide a dim lit quiet location. Offer small amounts of food and remove uneaten. If you have access to live mosquito larva-offer a couple rinse and see if that will stimulate his feeding response.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add 3tsp/gal Epsom salt and the tannin source-IAL 1 large crushed/gal or Oak leaf-20 crushed per gallon.
Use this premixed treatment water for 50% water changes every other day to every 3 days-leaving him in the tank for the water changes.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Does it matter what type of Oak Leaves that I use? I have two Black oak trees in my yard.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

The only difference between species of tree I have seen-is the color of tannins...I have/use about 6 different species of oak tree- with one being-what we call blackjack oak-not sure it that is the same one you are calling black oak-haven't had any problems with any species.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #10 
OmegaHaze

I recommend fishpharmacy.com I believe that the right address. You talk to a live person who is knowledged in fish and medications and can order the right stuff and have it shipped to your house. its worth a try if you dont want to use the betta fix
OmegaHaze is offline   Reply With Quote