Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #1 
majesticstorm

Talking majestic_storm's betta journal

Hi, I'm just a college student who has a betta fish to ease the loneliness of being socially awkward. XD I love talking about my darling Rain to my friends but I think I bore them with all my talking, so I'll make a journal to worship my Rain/record his changes.

So I just came back to my dorm after being on vacation for 3 weeks. Yesterday morning I cupped Rain after I fed him, wrapped the cup with a towel, and put him in a cardboard box. I also filled a water bottle with some of his tank water in case anything happened (like water leaking out of the cup). It was a long and bumpy 6hr train/bus ride back to my dorm.

Got him back to my dorm in one piece. He was really listless and his fins were somewhat clamped. I quickly worked to get his tank all set up. I found that the pH of the water here is a whopping 8.2, as opposed to a 7.6 back at home. I slowly acclimated him to the new water and set him loose. He dropped like a stone to the bottom of the tank. But after a while he swam around, and I found that the filter made him uncomfortable even after stuffing aquarium sponge into the intake and baffling it with aquarium sponge so I turned it off. Sometimes he would swim, and stop, as though frozan. He still ate, but was really cautious of me (probably because he associated food with cupping and an uncomfortable ride in a cup). He kept hiding from me and stayed at the bottom. Fortunately, my shipment of IAL came in the mail, so I put a leaf in the water (hopefully it'll make Rain more comfortable and also lower the pH).

Today he's a bit more active, and is still eating, which is a good sign. He now seems to be scared of my hands (I lost his trust T^T). I went to Petco to get a 6500K light bulb. Replaced my current one with the new one hoping that Rain would like it, but instead he keeps hiding and seems lethargic, but the second I turn it off he's all active and swimming, so I think I'll keep the light off until he gets used to his new surroundings/water before I try to get him used to the new light.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-07-2013 at 11:11 PM.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #2 
majesticstorm

I am happy to say that Rain is back to his perky and spunky little self again. He loves the addition of the IAL, and he loves to hide underneath it regularly.

I know that IAL will sink in a while, but he's made a bubble nest underneath it to keep it afloat. Unfortunately I made it sink when I put my hand in the tank to flip my moss balls around. But I've kept the leaf near the surface by resting it on top of the bamboo leaves. He can now shimmy himself on the leaf whenever he wants to too!

He's gotten used to the new light, to some extent. I found that he likes to go into his terra cotta pot a lot more, but he usually goes in for a second and then makes a u-turn back out. It's so amusing watching him peek his head out.

He's also started trusting me again, and isn't afraid of my hands when I drop the food down for him.

I think he likes to annoy me sometimes. When people see my fish tank they're like "oh! I want to see your fish" and that's when Rain's not being active and resting on the bottom next to the pot. But the second they leave, THEN he starts to be all active and glorious.

Oh, you little tyke! I'm sure you saying "talk to the tail!" in that picture XD
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #3 
Sixwolf

Ahhhh what a cutie! My betta dropped to the bottom of the tank too after I had taken him to my dorm. A little fresh water and some aquarium salt, and he was back to his usual self the next day. c:
Sixwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #4 
majesticstorm

Thanks! Isn't it amazing how they can adapt to the changes in their environment so quickly?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #5 
Sixwolf

Haha, they certainly are tough little patoots!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #6 
majesticstorm

I notice that Rain seems to put the side of his head against things and make a quick dart from it. I'm not sure if he's rubbing against it or anything, but I've notice that he's done this since I first got him (a month ago) and am slightly worried that he might have parasites. However, his appetite is good, he's active, and his colors are as vibrant as ever, so I won't do anything for now, but will keep a close eye on him for any changes.

I'm also suspecting that he's tail biting since the top lobe of his caudal fin seems a bit uneven. I think that he's not getting enough stimulation. I've ordered some more silk plants and hope that they will entertain him. If not, I'll have to get some pingpong balls.

A few weeks ago, I tried to get Rain to jump to eat a pellet that was on my finger. It didn't go as well as I hoped it would. He jumped, and missed. Eventually he touched the pellet, but the pellet fell into the water and started to sink. He didn't see it sink, so he didn't eat it. I decided to not to try that again since I didn't want to keep picking up the uneaten food. Today, I got him to jump to eat food that's on my finger. I gotta say, his aim has gotten much better and he has no problem grabbing it from my finger. So I think I'll keep feeding him like this in the evenings when I have the time.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 01-13-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #7 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

Rain is such a beautiful betta!!!!!!! I am sure he is good company. Mine go crazy as soon as I walk into my room, seems like they are so excited to see you
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #8 
majesticstorm

Thank you! He is good company :) My roommate goes out for the night=my night of talking to Rain. Even watched a youtube video with him today in hopes of entertaining him. He liked it XD

Yeah, it's so awesome how they sense your presence and come out to greet you :) How can you not fall in love with them?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #9 
Sixwolf

Yup. People who think fish don't have personalities are so very wrong. ;)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 AM   #10 
majesticstorm

Yeah, today my roommate's friend came to talk with my roommate and when he saw the tank, he rushed over and asked if there was a fish. He then saw Rain and was like , "Oh, it's a betta fish" and then walked away as though bettas are boring. He clearly hasn't properly had one yet.