Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #41 
majesticstorm

So I added the AQ salt at 1.5 tsp/gal and also some stress coat. Might add another IAL on tuesday when I do his water change. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

So today I found out that I might be misreading the charts for my test kit. Since I do my water changes during the day, I've always read my results in the light that I get from my window. Unfortunately, it isn't direct light or anything like that, but rather light from the sky, so the light I get is a bit blue (if you know what I mean). Today I decided to test my tap water and tank water for ammonia since I was being paranoid and when I put the test tubes up against the light, it seemed to be 0.25ppm. However when I held it up to the white light of my desk lamp, the results show that it's 0ppm. Still debating about using my filter, but I feel a bit more relieved to know that my tap doesn't have ammonia in it. The only things keeping me from using my filter is a) the power of the intake b) cycling it with Rain in the tank and c) having to move back home in a few months and figuring out how to keep the BB alive for 5-10 hrs in a car.

On a side note, I decided to experiment with all the silk plants I have and try putting more plants in the tank. The silk plants I got from petco are pretty tall, so they bend and provide covering. They're doing the job that the the plastic bamboo was doing, and even more so. Rain likes to weave around all the plants, so I'm definitely sticking to this. My friend came in and told me that it "looked like a jungle", which I was kinda proud of since that was what I was going for.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #42 
majesticstorm

Taking precautions...

I've noticed that the base of the marina silk plants are REALLY rough, and sandpapering them just seemed to make it worse. So instead I coated the base with a layer of, you guess it, aquarium silicone!

The base on the left is the before and the one on the right is the after. It turned out pretty well, so I'm going to do it to the rest of my marina plants (2 are currently in the tank, so I'll get to those next week).

Rain's tail doesn't seem to be getting worse, which is good. I hope it gets better soon. Today's day 2 of AQ salt.

Rain seems to be getting a lot of stimulation from all the silk plants in the tank. I just saw him make a dash towards the silk plant in on the right and curiously stare at the flower-like things. It was simply adorable!

And I have to say, I am REALLY satisfied with the quality of Petco's silk plants (the normal ones). Much more satisfied the Petsmart's at least. I remember that my petsmart silk plant started fraying after the 2nd water change. The plant on the left was washed pretty thoroughly this water change and I don't see any fraying.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 02-24-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #43 
majesticstorm

So Rain's fin rot doesn't seem to be getting worse, which is good I guess. But I don't see much improvement. I'll continue the AQ salt for now, but I may or may not need to use Kanaplex. We'll see.

On a side note, I decided to go on aquabid today just to look around...bad idea. Now there's this gorgeous HMPK that I want to get. If he's still there tomorrow, and nobody's bidded on him yet, I'm seriously thinking about getting a 5 gal critter keeper and have him in that until summer comes. Then I can use that empty 5.5 back at home...but that would mean I would need to buy another bucket, gravel siphon, terra cotta pot, turkey baster and tupperware, thermometer, and moss balls (just because I love them so). I don't want contamination. Grah..Aquabid what did you do to meee?

But I somehow feel that I'll need to keep a close eye on my babies if I do get that other fish since I know a certain SOMEONE on my floor who thinks that it would be funny to put two bettas together and watch them fight. Now I don't know if he was joking to try to impress me or not (I was not amused) but that is my biggest worry: having people mess with my fish. I know my roommate isn't that kind of a person, but I'll just have to be extra careful since people can come into my room from my suitemates' room (we have a connecting bathroom).

Also, I think my roommate officially thinks that I'm a fish nut, seeing how she's witnessed me do 2 water changes in that past 2 days (want to keep the water as clean as can be). Talked to her about the possibility of getting another fish...she didn't say that she was against it. But then again, it's not her taking care of them :) She does know that bettas do fight and asked me if the other fish is a betta, which I was quite happy about.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 02-27-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #44 
majesticstorm

Aquabid and Rain update

So Rain's tail still isn't getting worse. I'm going to be giving him his second dose of Kanaplex tomorrow (started using it on Wed when I noticed that AQ salt didn't seem to be working). Oh the little tyke, what a troublesome fella you are. I've done 4 water changes this week, hahaha. I enjoy doing it, but it's just a little disturbing that Rain's getting fin rot even though I try to keep the tank as clean as can be. And I don't know if the parasites are making a comeback or what, but I saw Rain flash twice against a silk plant a few days ago. *sigh* I'll deal with it after his fin rot problem is solved.

On a side note, I made my first Aquabid purchase! I can't believe it myself. I honestly wasn't planning on doing it. I usually go on Aquabid to snoop around, noting pretty bettas, my "dream betta(s)".They're usually Thailand bettas, so the transhipper thing is a real turn off so I'm sure I won't buy from them. Plus, I would always try to find fault in a fish, something that I didn't like about it so I wouldn't buy him. However, I decided to look at a US seller by the name of hopdiggity, and fell in love with her "white gold HMPK". His eyes had such spark (how I got that from a picture, I don't know), and the shape of his mouth was perfect to me. I kept thinking about him nonstop. Talked to my friends about it and stuff. Most of my friends were just worried about having him shipped to me. His auction ended last night at 2am, and I was losing sleep because I kept asking myself if I would regret it if I didn't get him. I assuring myself that if he wasn't bought and I saw him again, then it would be fate and I would get him. I also told myself that there will probably be other plakats like him in the future. Unfortunately, I didn't sleep well.

Saw him relisted today, and after talking to hopdiggity, I pressed the "buy it now" button. Going to pay her tomorrow, but I'm so excited! Here he is:

Going to have to make a petco run again to get everything set up, hahaha. I don't quite know where he'll be since I don't have much room, but I'll make space XD

Once I get this boyboy, my roommate will really think that I'm a fish-crazed lunatic XD

Last edited by majesticstorm; 03-01-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #45 
popcorndeer

your blue fish is soooo pretty!
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #46 
majesticstorm

Thank you! He currently has a pretty bad case of fin rot, even though I keep his water squeaky clean, but hopefully he'll get better.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #47 
majesticstorm

Well, my fish has arrived! :D I thought he wouldn't get to me until tomorrow since my dorm loads all of the packages in the morning, and since he wouldn't be here until the afternoon, I thought I wouldn't get him until Wednesday. But I guess they stock up the mail truck in the afternoon for the Express packages. The mail truck lady knows me by now because I've been buying SO much stuff online. She waved at me and just handed me the box. He looked pale white when I took him out of his box. I've acclimated him to the new water and he is now in the tank. I'm currently using a large critter keeper which only holds 3 gallons, but I've got an order of an x-large critter keeper coming to me in the mail that holds 5.9 gallons.

I've decided to name him Mufasa, since I LOVE the Lion King. He's really shy right now and hides a lot behind the decorations. But he did eat 3 NLS pellets, to me delight. He doesn't understand my hand signals yet, unlike Rain who knows them all and isn't afraid of me. I feel as though getting Mufasa after getting Rain has made me built a lot of expectations on Mufasa, like a mother who compares her kids. But I'll try not to do that. Mufasa is a bit scrawnier than Rain, but we'll change that soon enough, hahaha.

Mufasa is still half clamped, but he's swimming around and exploring his new home. It was so cute seeing him swim around the plant decorations. Here's the best picture I could get of him:

Hopefully, he'll color up a bit more, unclamps, and feels more comfortable with me in a few days.

On a side note, Mufasa has the 50 watt heater, and the temperature of the tank seems stable according to the thermometer. But I have yet to see the heater light turn on so I'm a bit worried.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #48 
majesticstorm

update on Mufasa and Rain

Som I see that Rain's dorsal is started to tear too, which isn't good. I think that the decorations in the tank isn't helping with his healing. I've ordered some Seachem stressguard in order to help him heal up and stuff. Hopefully, Mufasa's 5.9gal comes in tomorrow (tracking said it would be here tomorrow), and I can move Mufasa to that and use the 3gal critter keeper as a hospital tank for Rain. There it would be much easier for me to do water changes, and there wouldn't be any decorations to agitate his fins.

My poor baby's beautiful fins T^T But I shall fix it, if it' the last thing I do!

Finally got a flare-ish picture of him, haha. He doesn't like the camera

Now onto Mufasa:
I have to say that at first I was a little bit disappointed. He didn't look QUITE like I thought he would look, especially his mouth. But I have to say, after having him for 2 days, he's really grown on me and I really love the guy to pieces. I can't wait to get him that bigger tank. He has no problems eating, even the same day I acclimated him to his new home (he was a bit reluctant, but he still ate). He seems to know my hand signal already (wave=come here). A quirk I found about him is that he enjoys looking at himself in the thermometer. Now I don't know if he thinks that he's seeing a female or not, but I saw him do the mating embrace with water while staring at the thermometer. He's so silly! It was so endearing watching him explore his surroundings. Just wait until I get you that terra cotta pot and moss ball, Mufasa XD. He looks a bit gold, but hopefully he'll look even lovelier with a light. :)

Oh, and I have to say, I love my roommate. I remember telling her that I bought Mufasa and she just took it in. When I told her that the curtains would be closed for a few hours to get Mufasa used to light, she was totally cool about it. I have the best roomie ever :)

Now pictures. Note how he's near the thermometer in all of them, hahaha. Even staring at it in one.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 03-07-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #49 
majesticstorm

Nothing but disappointments...

So, the x-large kritter keeper that came in the mail had a huge crack in it, so I called the site that I purchased it from. Unfortunately, I guess nobody was in the office even though the answering machine that answered told me that there SHOULD have had someone working there when I called them. So instead, I saw that the K-mart that I live close to DOES sell them, and even said it was in stock, granted, more expensive. Went there today...didn't see one. I guess it's only available if I buy it online and ask for it to be picked up there. If the site does not call me back on Monday, they'll be hearing from me again. I don't what solution they'll propose, but if they ask if I want it reshipped, I'll be sure to ask them how often these things happen with their kritter keepers. This would be the 3rd tank IN A ROW that has cracked in the mail, so if they say that this has happened before, I'll ask to see if I can get a refund. I'm tired of feeling all excited and happy that I'll finally have a tank only to see it shattered in front of me when I open the box.

Now that I've got that off my chest, onto my fishes!
So I decided to take out most of Rain's decorations, and lower the water level of the tank so it doesn't seem as empty. He currently has about 2 gal in the tank. I added an extra IAL, and vitachem. My Seachem Stressguard came in the mail yesterday night so I added it to the tank too. He's currently moping about the lost of his plants, though, hahaha. I've also turned out the aquarium light, so hopefully he'll feel more relaxed.

I really love Mufasa now. He's so adorable and not camerashy, hahaha. I was really looking forward to giving him a bigger home, but I'm afraid that it'll have to wait. Sorry, boy. He's looking more and more like the fish that I fell in love with. His color is really starting to come out. He's a lot more jittery than Rain when I put him in his cup for water changes. I really thought that he was going to jump out any second.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #50 
majesticstorm

heat faster you blasted heater!

So I have Rain on Kanaplex. Since I only have Rain in about 2 gallons of water, I decided to measure out the Kanaplex in 5gal of water and split it for 2 days. One day I would use 2gal of the mixture and the next day I would use the rest when I do the water change. Unfortunately, the remainder of the water is at room temperature and my 25 watt heater has to heat it about 10 degrees. It's been half an hour and the water's at 73F. So as the water's heating up at a snail's pace, the water in Rain's cup is getting colder and colder. So I decided to float Rain's cup in Mufasa's tank to keep him warm. Rain's flaring himself silly over Mufasa, while Mufasa's giving him a "I don't give a d***" attitude, which is kinda funny. Mufasa flares a bit, but then swims off to another part of his tank a few seconds later. I'm currently watching Rain flare himself into a frenzy while Mufasa's just curiously looking at him. Not flaring or anything. Mufasa's so easily distracted, it's awesome. When I want Rain to calm down, I just wave my hand and Mufasa will come swimming to the front of the tank, out of Rain's line of sight.

I've just taken Rain out of Mufasa's tank. Hopefully his cup water has warmed up a bit while the tank water is still at a blasted 73F.

Mufasa's so darling. I love how he's so eager to please. Sometimes while I'm doing my work, I'll look up at him. It's quite amusing to see him swimming around, minding his own business, and then occasionally comes to the front of the tank and look down at me as if he's checking up on me. I was really worried about how he would be like personality-wise when I got him because he was so shy, but all my worries have been thrown out the window. He doesn't glass-surf like Rain does. I want to get you that x-large kritter keeper ASAP!

Oh, and I called Petmountain telling them about my kritter keeper, and they've sent a request to send me a replacement. Hopefully it'll come to me okay. I mean, I've seen a lot of reviews for it on their websites, so it would mean that it got to them in good shape, right? It was quite amusing actually when I told them that one of my products came cracked, and after looking up my order (a silk plant and the kritter keeper), the man on the line was like, "it's the kritter keeper...can't crack a plant". I just found it slightly amusing. The people at Petmountain are very helpful and awesome, so the cracked kirtter keeper won't keep me from purchasing from them :)

I've also bought a new filter for both of my boys. It's a TOM aquarium mini adjustable filter. I saw a lot of good reivews for it on Amazon, and it isn't TOO expensive. I don't really know when I would actually use it since the last quarter of college is just 10 weeks, which is about the time it would take to cycle the tank. Then I would be moving back home for summer, which might mean I would lose the BB colony I just created. I might not actually use the filter until next year of college.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 03-11-2013 at 06:24 PM.