Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #51 
majesticstorm

double the trouble...

Bad news, I saw Rain flashing quite a lot today, which means his parasites/gill flukes are back. I'm suspecting that his fin rot isn't getting better as quickly as I'm hoping for due to his body trying to fight off the parasites AND the fin rot. I've been doing daily 100% water changes, and today's his last day of Kanaplex treatment, and his fins aren't getting better much. I think I should hold off on AQ salt and any sort of medication for a bit so that his body doesn't get overwhelmed by so many chemicals nonstop. I'll fill his tank back to the top tomorrow during his water change and put his silk plants back in since he seemed to be sulking this whole week while I removed them. He ignored me except for feeding time.

Mufasa's x-large kritter keeper came in the mail on Wednesday in one piece, to my happiness. Wasn't planning on setting his tank up until today, but something came up that got me really upset so I set his tank up on Thursday to relax and calm down. Here it is:

He seems to enjoy the extra space, although lately he seems to keep his focus on me a lot, just swimming around the front of the tank, either to observe me, get my attention, or thinks that if he does this, he'll get food. He's really a cutiepie. :)

The only worry I have about having 2 fishes is the fear of contamination, especially since Rain has fin rot AND parasites of some sort. So I'm super careful and have 2 of everything and separate their stuff: 2 gravel vacuums, their silk plants in different plastic bags (I bought 2 of the same silk plants, so the ones in Mufasa's tank aren't Rain's). I don't have separate buckets for them, however I have a dirty water bucket and a clean water bucket. I use this container to pour the clean water into their tanks, but it never makes contact with the tank, so hopefully no contamination has occurred.

After having a plakat, I think that I'll stick to plakats in the future. I don't have to worry about them tail biting. They seem a bit more fun than the long-finned bettas since they can swim a lot easier due to their shorter finnage.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 03-16-2013 at 01:52 AM.
majesticstorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #52 
majesticstorm

Wish them luck

So my filters came in the mail today, and I'm so excited to use them. Have some filter media coming in through the mail too, but I probably won't get them until I come back from spring break.

I didn't feed my boys today, and did a 100% water change tonight. I'll be gone for around 9-10 days, so hopefully they'll be okay without food or water changes.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #53 
majesticstorm

gosh darned it!

So I came back yesterday to see both Rain and Mufasa lying at the bottom of their tanks. At first I thought they were gone, and regretted leaving them in the dorm for a week without food. Upon further inspection, I saw to my horror that the temperature of their water was only 60F, and saw that (probably) one of my RAs was a bozo and unplugged everything. I quickly floated them in cups in some warm water as I changed their water. Fortunately, they ate.

They were in pretty bad shape last night. But today, Rain seems to have gotten a bit better. Mufasa, however is still not showing much improvement. He sits at the bottom of the tank, and only comes up for air, and when he does, he kinda does a nosedive towards the bottom again. Today, I have moved him into the 3gal kritter keeper to make it easier for him to go up for air, and added 2 IAL. Overall, he seems to have swimming issues. He has difficulty swimming down, and staying down now. He also seems to be breathing pretty heavily. He only ate 1 pellet today. He tried to eat more, but ended up spitting them back out. He seems to be a fighter; I hope he makes it.

The filter media came in the mail today, and decided to cycle Mufasa's main tank while he's in recovery.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 04-01-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #54 
Corsica

Oh I hope they both recover for you!
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #55 
majesticstorm

Thank you! Hopefully they'll get better with time.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #56 
majesticstorm

day 2 of recovery

Rain seems to be around 90% recovered. Was a hungry little piggy during feeding time.

Mufasa has made great improvement since yesterday. I honestly thought that was a a goner, but was happy to wake up to see him swimming about this morning. He was trying to nip at those metal balls that are in thermometer, so I thought that he regained his appetite. Gave him a pellet, he munched it down. Ate 4 pellets this morning. He's still hanging out at the bottom at times, but a lot less compared to yesterday. Doesn't have the same amount of energy as before I left for spring break, but he seems to be 75% of the way there. He is no longer gasping for air or nosedoving. His swimming issues seems to have gotten better for the most part, but I noticed the same thing when I first got him, and it got better with time, so hopefully this will too. I think that the IAL was a big factor in his recovery, but I'm running low. Ordered some more from Amy Lim. The water is now really dark thanks to the tannins, but I don't really mind, as long as he's comfortable. Here's a video of him today. I apologize for the water marks XD. I think he was giving me a look in the video about it too, hahaha. It looks like he's going to be okay.

I have to say, this ordeal has really reminded me how hardy and resilient these fish are.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 04-02-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #57 
majesticstorm

Mufasa's fully recovered!

I'm happy to say that Mufasa's back to his old, energetic self today. Thank goodness. Since he was healthy today, I decided to do a water change. Saw some of his poop at the bottom, and put it in his cycling tank. I need as many sources of ammonia as I can get.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #58 
majesticstorm

tanks are now cycling...

So I decided to cycle Rain's tank along with Mufasa's tank. It would be better for Rain's tail once it's cycled since it will be a healthier environment. However, I had the dilemma of where to put Rain while his tank was cycling. I currently have 3 heaters, and 3 tanks. Mufasa's in the large kritter keeper with a heater, so there wouldn't be anywhere to put Rain. Instead, I used the cover of my master test kit as a temporary home for Rain. I'm floating the container in Rain's tank so that his water will still be nice and stable. This means daily water changes, of course. And whenever I see Rain produce waste, I suck it up with the turkey baster and drop it into the cycling tank. It was quite amusing when I was adding some cheap fish flakes into the cycling tank and Rain was going in a frenzy trying to eat them as they floated down. Of Rain, you're such a little piggy. Although the container is pretty small, what's sad that it might be the same size/slightly bigger than those horrid "betta bowls" that are on sale at pet stores.

Ammonia levels in cycling tanks:
Rain's tank: 0.25ppm
Mufasa's tank: 0.50ppm

Here's a video of Mufasa fully recovered.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 04-06-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #59 
majesticstorm

Use the little flipper, Mufasa!

So I found that Mufasa's not using his right pectoral today. I guess he injured it somehow. Aside form his pectoral fin, he's his usual self, so I guess I'll just give him some time to see if he gets better.

Ammonia levels in cycling tanks:
Mufasa: 1.00 ppm
Rain: 0.50 ppm
Old 04-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #60 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad they're both doing better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote