Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 04:00 AM   #61 
majesticstorm

Thanks DQ :)

So Mufasa's pectoral seems fine now. Rain's rays are no longer bent and look as though they'll fall off any second. Hopefully they'll slowly regrow. I might start adding Stressguard again. Right now, Rain's only on IAL. Decided to add as few chemicals as necessary.

Mufasa's tank water seems to have a tint of green...hopefully that's supposed to happen during cycling...going to check my water parameters tomorrow.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #62 
majesticstorm

I think that Rain's tail is finally starting to regrow. The area between his lobes aren't as jagged as they used to be, so hopefully it's mending, and I'm seeing a bit of clear regrowth here and there :) Rain also seems to be having difficulty pooping. With him in the container, I can easily see when he poops and how much. I've noticed that he doesn't go for 2-3 days (in which he's a bit on the rounder side) and then when he goes, it's a big one. Usually when I notice him to be particularly round, I hold off on the food until he goes (which is usually after a water change, the little stinker!).

Mufasa's being Mufasa. He's really a fish really eager to please. With his temporary home right on my desk, he can observe me do my work. The little guy literally spends 90% of the time at my end, swimming around and watching me. But then again, he probably associates that area of the tank as the "food area" so maybe that's why he's always there XD

The ammonia in Mufasa's tank has finally reached 2.0ppm while the ammonia in Rain's tank is only a bit above 0.50ppm. It's probably due to Mufasa's tank having more fish waste than Rain's tank, since Rain doesn't poop as frequently as Mufasa does.

Last edited by majesticstorm; 04-14-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #63 
fireballismyfav

oh I love betta fish ! their adorable I just got mine (fireball) yesterday and I can already tell he's a shy guy but so very funny ,I got him this volcano/cave thing and when I came in my room last night his head was just peaking out the top as if to say oh hello you!
fireballismyfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #64 
majesticstorm

Heehee, welcome to the betta fish world :) Fireball sounds delightful! Thanks for stopping by!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #65 
majesticstorm

After some crazy water readings, Rain's tank is cycled. He's currently in there, but I'll be doing daily water checks to be sure that the cycle's stable. Rain's tail is indeed growing back. I see some clear regrowth of his rays. Bad news is that Rain's tailbiting tendencies seem to have returned too. All the decorations help him be able to reach his tail :( But on the bright side, the filters I got are perfect! I changed the output tube to be a flow diffuser so there isn't too much current. Rain's not struggling to fight the intake or the outtake, unlike the previous HOB.

Mufasa's tank is still cycling, just waiting for the nitrites to decrease.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #66 
majesticstorm

So I sure haven't updated this in a while, hahaha.

Well, last week I saw Rain flashing vigorously against the decor in his tank, and his gills aren't closing properly. Why are gill flukes so hard to eradicate? I think the gill flukes are lowering his immune system since his tail is starting to show signs of fin rot again even though his parameters are perfect. He seemed to be feeling terribly, so I ordered some PraziPro and had Rain on Paraguard to keep the flukes at bay as much as I could while I waited for the Prazipro to get here. Got the PraziPro yesterday ad dosed his tank. He seems to be doing alright, minus the occasional twitching as though he's trying to get rid of something.

Mufasa's just spiffy as can be. His tank finished cycling last week and now he's back in his x-large kritter keeper. He has no trouble with the low current and even likes to swim up to the output and ride the current. He just has so much energy that I decided to increase the amount of NLS from 8 pellets a day to 10 pellets a day. We'll see how it goes. With him being so energetic, I'm sure he will burn it all off. The guy is just so silly. When I feed him, I usually put the NLS container next to his tank, and he makes a beeline towards it and kinda rams against the glass trying to get to the NLS, "forget the middle-man, why not get the NLS directly?!" is what he's probably thinking.

They both are already tucked in for the night, so I'll post pictures tomorrow :)
Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #67 
majesticstorm

PraziPro, I love you!

So it's been over a week since I've had Rain on PraziPro. Waited a few days after his water change and redosed the tank again. Probably going to do one last dose next week to make sure I got every parasite there is. I saw significant changes to Rain after the Prazi was in the water. His tail was turning white and seemed very brittle and kept breaking, but this week it has returned to his lovely blue and has shown a lot of regrowth. I guess the parasites were the underlying problem to his fin problems after all. He's not longer furiously flashing against objects, and it seems like his health is better overall. Can I also add that PraziPro smells really nice? Like...fruity and not chemical-y like VitaChem or Prime, and I appreciate that :) Rain also has some StressGuard in his tank to help his healing fins.

I was really happy to hear my parents ask about Rain when I called home to with my mom a happy mother's day. They seemed genuinely concerned about his health and didn't really complain about my purchases of the filter or more fish medication. They also might think that fish caring is educational for me since I'm taking chemistry atm, hahaha...

Here's the best picture I could get of him today:

Mufasa's doing wonderfully. Does not seem to be showing signs of parasites, so I'm glad to know that having separate siphons and clean/dirty water buckets is a good way to not have contamination. The 10 pellets a day for him seems to be working out; he's not showing constipation or anything. He's such a cutie to have around, and I don't regret buying him on Aquabid.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #68 
majesticstorm

Update

...So finals is coming up soon, wish me luck! It also means that I'll have to move out of my dorms. Hopefully moving with 2 fish won't be too bad. I hope I can keep my BB alive for 5-6 hours and my boys won't be too stressed and will make the journey.

Rain's doing great now after I treated him with the Prazipro. His tail is healing, however I'm sure it will never go back to its former glory. Rain's face is now completely black, to my dismay. I loved it when his face was adorably white, but oh well. :/ He always seem to find a way to hurt himself, what a problem fish. I thought I betta-proofed his decorations already, but he managed to find a way to tear his dorsal fin >:/ Graaah....at least the tank's cycled so he the chances of him getting fin rot again is lower. He enjoys flaring at my finger. Whenever I point at him, he comes at me at full flare, as opposed to the chill Mufasa who stares at it and swims away. As you can see in the picture, his tail's healing up

Mufasa's as healthy as ever. Although recently I've noticed that he likes to swim against the filter current and then ride the current down. Someone's trying to get buff, hahahaha. I do feed him 9-10 NLS pellets a day, so I glad that he has a way to work it off :)
Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #69 
majesticstorm

Looks like I have another troublesome child...

So this morning when I went to feed my boys, I noticed that one of Mufasa's pectoral fins were red, and he had it clamped to his side and only used his other one. So it seems like he found a way to injure himself, too. It's probably due to him chasing his shadow in the back of the tank/swimming against the current.He isn't flaring or anything, just doing a lot of zippy maneuvers at the back of the tank. Added some StressGuard and IAL to help with his healing. Checked back on him in the evening and saw that he was using the pectoral again, but it was still faintly pink. Hopefully he'll get well soon!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #70 
majesticstorm

Moved out of dorms

So I am back at home, after a 5hr drive. I had my gravel/filter media in bags with tank water in it, hoping to keep my BB alive. Both Mufasa and Rain took the ride like champs. I was acclimating my boys to their tanks when I decided to try to find my test kit and do a water test. Good thing I did. The ammonia readings were 0.50ppm. Guess they're not going into their tanks tonight. I was worried that the ammonia meant that my BB died, so was going to re-cycle the tank. I put my boys in kritter keepers in the meantime. Fortunately, when I did a later tonight, I saw that the ammonia went down a bit, so crossing my fingers that my BB are actually alive and that the ammonia will be down to zero by tomorrow.