Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #1 
rangerserena

Unhappy first betta mom help

?So for some reason my step grandmother gave my son a betta for christmas.....without telling me first. I've done big freashwater tanks before for goldfish,cherry bombs, and rainbow sharks, but this is my first betta. My usual tank is full of my moms books so it will takea while to clean out and get set up. I need help advice a blessing from posidon to get this little guy,I think its a guy.....or a girl i have no idea how to even tell them apart, to survive.
He came in one of those tiny little bowls that you see in the big chain petshops and i wanted to give him more space. Untill i can get my big tank cleaned i have another container that i could use for now but i don't know how to do the switch. What kind of water can i use. I was told by the local petshop to only use bottled water . Do i need to treat the water should i/ can i get another fish to keep him company? Help me o wise betta folk, i want to give the little guy some space while i work on the big tank, which i think is either 20 gals or 50 gals. I want to do the switch today if possible
rangerserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #2 
majesticstorm

You don't need bottled water. Regular tap water is fine as long as you treat it with water conditioner. You can just float the tiny bowl in the new container so that he can get used to the new water temperature (I'm assuming the new container is big enough for that), and in addition slowly adding the new water into the tiny bowl so that he/she gets used to the new water. Space the water droppings out. Do a little bit and then wait 15 min or so and do it again. I personally take out some of the old water before adding the new water in.

Don't forget to give the little fella a heater since bettas are tropical fish and like their waters to be around 78-79F.

I'm not sure about what fish are compatible with bettas since I keep mine alone in his tank. Maybe ask around in the "betta fish compatibility" section of the forum.

Good luck with your new fish! :D

Last edited by majesticstorm; 12-30-2012 at 05:10 AM.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #3 
RoMay

Bottled water can be just as bad if not worse then tap water. If you want to use bottled water since I know Arrowhead is pretty good. But generally speaking all you'd have to do is declorinate the water using treatments. And introducing bettas to new tanks is the same as other fish.

PS: Bettas are pretty easy to tell male and female. Males have bigger fins where as females have smaller. Females also have a pretty obvious egg spot on their belly.

I wouldn't worry about another fish with him at this point. There's a compatiability section to this forum you can look at once you get the bigger tank. I think it'd love the company.

-
Welcome to betta keeping, it's fun to do, if not a little hair raising. I still consider myself a newby to owning bettas.

-edit- I got ninjaed majesticstorm
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #4 
rangerserena

Awesome. Ill be switching him later today to his temporary home. I have no idea what kind he is but he's a beautiful shade of blue
Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #5 
majesticstorm

Teehee, sorry RoMay. But advice is advice and won't hurt, to matter how many times it is said :)

And I like your word choice of "ninjaed" XD
Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 AM   #6 
rangerserena

if this works this is my little Guy

http://photo2.walgreens.com/walgreen...AME=walgreens/

and the temporary container I'll use until I get my big tank set up. ghetto I know but I'm sure he'll appreciate the extra space and I can add a plant or two for some coverage

Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 AM   #7 
majesticstorm

I can only see the walgreens photo, but he's a boy alright :) And a really pretty one too.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #8 
RoMay

I'm gonna bet a veiltale, due to the looks of the tight finage, and the popularity of petstores to veils. But it is hard from the top, great way to make a guessing game.

PS: Some bettas love Japanese Moss balls, the floating plants are great and the plant that sounds like Anubis is very hearty as well. Plants while providing coverage can help take ickys out of the tank.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #9 
rangerserena

him up top and temporary home on bottom

Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #10 
RoMay

That first bowl he was in eek talk about no room. Just make sure his temp home has never had any soap contact. You should know by now soap kills fishies. When he gets into a bigger home you'll notice he might get more active and playful so don't worry if he doesn't do anything right now.