Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #1 
cdouglas93

Exclamation New to Betta's

While I have in the past kept a fish aquarium it is my first time keeping Betta's. My boyfriend knowing how much I loved keeping fish before surprised me one day and got me a male and female betta not knowing they couldn't be kept together. Atm both are kept in 1.5 Gallon aquariums but I am currently setting up two seperate aquariums for them. I have a basic ten gallon aquarium and a 5 gallon hex aquarium. My problem is I'm not quite sure what Betta should go in which tank. I want to do a community for both. I've done some research on who can be kept with who and was possibly thinking of doing a sorority with the female but wasn't sure if that was possible with only a ten gallon? I am setting both tanks up tonight with sand bottoms and the basics so I'll have a couple days before they are cycled. Any advice will be helpful.
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #2 
Luxavior

From what I've read, a 10g is barely scraping by for a sorority as they tend to require at least 5 females and LOTS of hiding places to prevent fights.

You could put the male in the 10g if he has long fins, and the female in the 5g and get some shrimp or snails for tankmates.

And from what I understand, cycling takes around a month to fully develop and stabilize
Luxavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

Cycling could take months, but could take a few days to two weeks with a certain bacteria supplement (forgot what it was called X])
Anyways, 10 gallons is a good size for sorority. At most you can probably feet 5 or 6. I have had sororities of three; however, the more females is usually better since it spreads out aggression. You will need a lot of hiding spaces though (preferably not caves, since a fleeing female could get trapped).
Personally, I would start a sorority with the 10 gallon and put the male in the 5 gallon.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #4 
aemaki09

10 gallons is a good size for a sorority just remember that you need a minimum of 4, and in a 10 gallon you shouldnt have more then 5-6 girls in there or else it'll be overstocked.
You will need to plant it very heavily to make it work (silk or live) just so that when someone is being overly aggressive the one being picked on can break the line of sight and hide before anything progresses.

Glad that you are doing your research!!
Welcome to the wonderful world of betta's, and betta addicts! :)
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #5 
cdouglas93

I actually just posted a picture of my tank on another post but I'll post the ten gallon on here. I JUST set this up late last night when I was posting this or after I posted it. These are currently all the plants I have and I do have the large mason jar inside but I can also place two smaller potting plants inside if need be.The tank is still a tad cloudy but after cycling I believe should be fine.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #6 
cdouglas93

Also I would like to add that the tank and filter along with all but one of the plants was used previously and although I did clean everything beforehand I believe this will help quicken the cycling process. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm also planning on setting up the five gallon tonight.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #7 
shellieca

Personally I wouldn't use a clear jar for a cave as it doesn't provide any cover. Since you washed the decor the BB was probably killed off so won't help with cycling. Get a good liquid test kit to test daily, do water changes (50%) when ammonia or nitrItes hit .25 or higher if you decide to do a fish IN cycle. My 10g tank took 8 wks to cycle. A fish LESS cycle can sometimes take less time & less work you just have to provide an ammonia source.

EDIT: reread your post & saw filter was previously used, did you clean the filter media or let it dry out? If not then that should help speed up the cycling if not instantly cycle the tank.

Last edited by shellieca; 01-08-2013 at 11:41 AM.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #8 
cdouglas93

Well when I say clean I just mean wipe down with a wet cloth. The lady that sold me the tank gave me new filters to put inside if that's what you mean.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #9 
cdouglas93

I was also thinking about maybe doing cories since I have sand. Could I do four/five female bettas and a couple cories?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #10 
aemaki09

Cories are schooling fish so they need to be in a minimum of 4 but preferably 6. If you can get dwarf cories you could possibly do 4 females and 4 cories, but that'd be pushing it. No other cories would work unless you did a Cory only tank in that size.
I agree about not using a clear jar, you can get a terra cotta pot in the garden section of Walmart or home improvement stores and that'd be better.
I'd also add a few more plants.
Sororities can be very volotile, you want to provide as much hiding places and cover as you can
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, 5 gallon, betta, community tank, female and male betta