Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #1 
Kwomais

Post questions re: getting started

So I have my new 5gal that I plant on making a NPT. My plan is to first place the soil, then my substrate (gravel) and plants (java moss, hygrophila (reg and sunset varieties), and subwassertang) and my rock collection, which is currently acting as substrate in my betta's heated 1gal bowl. I have a few questions about this NPT to be. I also plan to add shrimp (either a cherry type or ghosties) and some snails.

1) should I re-sterilize (boil) the rocks, or leave as-is to transfer any BB? (They've been in the bowl with a plant for 5 weeks, and with betta for 2)

2) has anyone worked with subwassertang before? I never have but looooove the look and wouldn't mind some pointers before picking it up on Friday.

3) I was thinking of getting the whisper 2-10i because I can afford it and find it; will I likely need to baffle it, and if so, how?

4) the tank that I have has a hood that can accommodate up to a 15 watt lightbulb, will that be enough, and what brightness rating should I go for to ensure the best chance of success?

Thanks in advance guys!
Kwomais
Kwomais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #2 
aemaki09

1. I wouldnt re sanitize it. If you're betta is moving into the NPT and he doesnt have any health issues i'd move them as is just in case there is some BB.
2. Not subwassertang, but I worked with pellia which I've heard is very similar. It's a huge mess. You've got to tie it down with fishing line so it'll eventually root (unless you want it floating, but you'll probably lose it to your filter that way) even when you tie it alot will come loose. I think its a huge pain but I'm sure theres somebody on here that likes it and can help you with it.
3. to baffle it you will need pantyhose and filter floss (the white stuff that holds the carbon on the inside, you can buy it just as the white stuff) - you will want to shove filter floss into the intake and anwhere you can fit it, and if the outflow is too much you'll want to put it by the output too. Then stick the panty hose around the outside of the intake so nothing gets sucked inside.
4. 15 watts is perfect for a 5 gallon. (as long as its flourescent or LED, I've never had luck with incandescent) You will want to make sure the bulbs are 6500K or you can go for full spectrum if you cant find the K value.

Also, I think you should add some stem plants to your list. Once the tank is established then you can start removing the stems and move in rooted plants, but its suggested to start out with mostly stems, you are supposed to cover 75% of the substrate with plants for a successful NPT. -- theres actually a sticky that OFL wrote in the planted betta tanks section on this site..
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #3 
Kwomais

Hygrophila are stems (unless I'm mistaken) and I'm getting 15 stems of the regular stuff and 5-10 of the sunset. Craigslist ftw all my plants are gonna cost a total of $15!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #4 
aemaki09

Oh no, your right! they are stem plants!!
Thats not too bad of a price!

If you need anymore - my absolute favorite seller is mikeswetpets on aquabid. He's got really good prices and shipping rates. Like even if you ordered 25 potted plants he wouldnt charge more than $9, and I believe normally shipping is $6, so really reasonable IMO. I've always recieved a bunch of great snail-free plants.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #5 
Kwomais

Thanks! I'll look him up in the future.