Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #1 
JAGalletta

Tiny insects on my floating plants.

I just got a small bag full of duckweed, frog bit, and various stem plants from my LFS yesterday (for free I might add -- they were castaways looking only slightly weak, but I know my tank will revive them -- NPT w/ 2 watts per gal). I also put a slice of zucchini in the tank for my otos, which is floating on the top. Today, I woke up to find 3 tiny insects about 2 square mm each, on the floating slice of zucchini. Should I be worried about these insects being a problem in the house? I'm thinking they either came from the new plants or the zucchini, since they were the only new additions yesterday. They look like the shape of stinkbugs, but I know they're not stinkbugs, and they're not podura aquatica. I'd like them to make a wrong step onto the surface of the water so the fish would eat them, but they likely wouldn't see the little guys on the fairly large surface of their 29 gal tank.

So, are these guys a concern? If so, how should I get rid of them? Will they infest the house or remain only in the tank?

P.S. I plan on taking the zucchini out, and blanching the next slice in hopes that it will sink.

Last edited by JAGalletta; 01-07-2013 at 07:11 AM.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I don't know about the bugs but I'd remove them if possible. I bought some sinkers that I stick into the zucchini or cucumber when I feed them, they look like mini rebar & are bendable, they work great!
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #3 
JAGalletta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I don't know about the bugs but I'd remove them if possible. I bought some sinkers that I stick into the zucchini or cucumber when I feed them, they look like mini rebar & are bendable, they work great!
I like this idea, but do you know if the otos would prefer fresh zucchini or blanched zucchini? Doesn't matter to me, but if it does to them, I'd like to do it right.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

I always blanch my veggies. I buy a zucchini or cucumber, slice them into medallions a little thick & freeze them. When I want to feed a slice, I take it out, put in a little water to thaw it, pop into the microwave for a minute. I usually cut it in half, put a sinker in each piece then drop them in different areas so my two CAE's don't have to be territorial.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #5 
JAGalletta

Ok, cool. Thanks!