Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #1 
Lizdu

Lighting question

I currently have this tank. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

and I think the LED lighting is not sufficient for the plants. My anubias on lava rock, is yellowing now, but the hornwort is doing well since it's floating at the top, the cabomba is doing pretty well, although some leaves look like they're "melting". I just don't know what else it could be. the parameters are great. I was wondering if anyone else has this type of tank, and if they had similar problems, and how they fixed it. My husband won't allow me to get a new tank yet, and asked if we could just change the light. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!
Lizdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #2 
Laki

I don't know what kind of light the hood takes (If it's LED its those little dots??) But you're right, LED will not be sufficient for plants, and in my experience, even "low light" plants. Everything died on me until I got a compact flourescent bulb with 6500 kelvin rating. I bought it at (what in the usa is called) Pj's Pets for 16.99 (gasps).

Some people here on the forum buy the same lights at home depot and similar stores for much cheaper.. This of course depends on the type of hood the tank has.

Your plants might also benefit some weekly fertilizers. For a couple plants like that I use SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive. It contain all the micro nutrients your plants need, my anubias used to grow a leaf every week and half but since I anchored it it stopped temporarily.

Good luck!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #3 
Lizdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I don't know what kind of light the hood takes (If it's LED its those little dots??) But you're right, LED will not be sufficient for plants, and in my experience, even "low light" plants. Everything died on me until I got a compact flourescent bulb with 6500 kelvin rating. I bought it at (what in the usa is called) Pj's Pets for 16.99 (gasps).

Some people here on the forum buy the same lights at home depot and similar stores for much cheaper.. This of course depends on the type of hood the tank has.

Your plants might also benefit some weekly fertilizers. For a couple plants like that I use SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive. It contain all the micro nutrients your plants need, my anubias used to grow a leaf every week and half but since I anchored it it stopped temporarily.

Good luck!
oohh...okay. thanks! i have been thinking about getting the SeaChem Flourish. I do like the SeaChem Prime, which I also found through this site. That's the problem with the tank lid. Yes, it's those little dot looking lights, and I don't see how I'll be able to change them to a regular light.
Lizdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #4 
Laki

You can get a desk lamp and get a screw in compact flouescent with 6500K. And do like I do for my shrimp tank, remove the lid for the day and shine the lamp over the tank. If you have a jumper you might need to cover the tank with craft mesh or something
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote