Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #1 
Mirage23

Almost ready maybe

Hello! I have some last questions on betta breeding. I was reading that it was a good idea to have a snail in with the fry after they are free swimming is this true? Their reasoning was that it removes their waste z and help keep the tank clean. What do you do with all your betta? Do you sell them? I've heard of giving them to pet stores but how do I go about doing that? How do you cull your fish? Ive been told about clove oil and feeding them to bigger fish. Do any of you know where I can find information about Good form? When should I start to increase the volume of the tank water after spawning? If you have any tips and tricks to share please do :) I want to learn as much as possible!
Mirage23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #2 
levy

Ok yes we put in 1 or 2 Snails but small ones so we breed snail . a snail grows up faster than the fish so it can eat the fry .what the hill is the clove oil for
levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #3 
JadeSparrow

From what I've been reading they are using clove oil to put the fish to sleep instead of feeding to other fish
JadeSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #4 
Mirage23

Sorry I'll clarify,
Ive been told about culling them by either using clove oil or feeding them to bigger fish. I'm leaning more towards Clove oil. But are there other methods that are humane too?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #5 
Myates

I refuse to put snails in the breeding/fry tank until they are bigger and stronger.. I've seen both big and small snails walking on the bubble nests themselves and it terrifies me they will eat any eggs.. and they eat all my live plants.. so they are in a separate tank, and when the fry are moved to the grow out tanks I will add in a single snail - they create a TON of waste and ammonia.. the only "clean" they do is eat food from the fry on the floor, and dead fry.. .

I have clove oil.. just make sure to shake it really well before placing fish in there.. it has to mix up otherwise the fish will suffer. I have an asprin bottle (big one) with a tight lid that I use to mix it up in, before placing it into the deli cup with the fish.
Other than that, the only other way to insure no suffering is to either cut it's head off or smash it under a newspaper.. I can't do either :(

Most people will sell online - through aquabid, ebay, facebook groups, pet stores will pay pennies for them.. but that is a way to get rid of any that have not been sold after a while.. most breeders who breed a lot will cull very heavily to avoid a ton of leftover fish.

Using a drip system.. it depends on each breeder.. some start dripping the new water in when the fry are free swimming, some wait a few days. Depends on how clean the water is, live plants, etc I suppose. You don't want to be pouring in new water.. has to be painstakingly slow..

Form.. If you are wanting to show fish then I would look into joining IBC (International Betta Congress).. they will help you with proper form, etc. Also breeding techniques.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #6 
levy

hi hi i did say to put them went de fish breeding you put them in when the fry 2 to 3 weeks old when the waste and on eaten food is at a high
levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #7 
Mirage23

I wouldn't be able to cull them that way either :( IBC looks intimidating haha but I think it would be so cool to learn from them. I really want to learn about form and genetics. How do you dispose of the culled fish?
Old 01-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #8 
KadenJames

I created this informative slideshow a while ago about most information on breeding & raising bettas. It can be viewed here --> http://www.slideshare.net/Bajistock/...o-breed-bettas

Be sure to view it in full screen mode
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 AM   #9 
Mirage23

Ahh! Thank you! :) also IAL do I have to clean them before I put them in or can I just Toss it in there?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #10 
Myates

Always good to rinse off everything you place in the tank.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote