Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #91 
ChibreneyDragon

Perhaps they need a cool down time?
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #92 
chardzard

hmmmm may be or just like some of us any way i want to be the best or 1 of the best at this trade in Barbados ^_^ so i can match u guys fish of fish , i have a few buyers that like my fish so that wat is pushing me even more to be a better betta breeder got my oscar there to clean up the bad ones n so far bettas seem to be his favortie snacks :), i dont buy bad fish so i wont sell any bad fish and if i think 1 of my fish can make bad fish it has to go so my next step is learning about bad scales i'm not a pro yet :D just a guy with a love for these fish well all other fish too so be ready guys
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #93 
ChibreneyDragon

Herm, Im actually studing the genetics of what makes "bad fish" and if in our quest to eliminate undesirable traits... we are causing OTHER unforseen issues. My main issue is show breeders saying you can ONLY get show quality fish from other show quality fish...which just isnt TRUE.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #94 
inareverie85

Plenty of breeders don't say that. Please don't generalize. :(

Most breeders WILL, however, advise you to start a show line with show quality fish, simply because the genetics of the fish being used are known and documented. You'll get fewer culls, and you'll arrive at your goal in fewer generations. It saves a lot of time and money, as getting the same quality fish out of a petco pair could take an extra 3 generations.

As to some of the ideas brought up in this thread:
It is important to understand that fish are different creatures than humans, cats, dogs, etc. Inbreeding CAN be done in fish for a generation or two without genetic deformity, whereas you are likely to see genetic problems in humans within a single generation. Responsible breeders DO bring in outcrosses and don't just inbreed forever..

It was just starting to sound silly, all this comparison of apples to oranges. :P

Will go back to lurking now.

Last edited by inareverie85; 01-20-2013 at 08:52 PM.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #95 
Myates

lol ^ :D
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #96 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibreneyDragon View Post
Herm, Im actually studing the genetics of what makes "bad fish" and if in our quest to eliminate undesirable traits... we are causing OTHER unforseen issues.
Well, isn't that always the case? Take humans, for example. People may choose a mate because he/she displays 'desirable' traits. But even so, the kids may end up with 'unexpected' characteristics.

Quote:
My main issue is show breeders saying you can ONLY get show quality fish from other show quality fish...which just isnt TRUE.
No, it's not true. But it is probably the 'fastest' way. If you start with two show-quality parents, then you probably could produce show-quality offspring in the next generation.... But if you start with two 'unknown' fish, then it would probably take longer, and the breeder would have a bigger challenge, in terms of knowing which offspring to breed in future generations, etc.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #97 
chardzard

so for guys like me who soake up as much info as i can get,have learn a few trick too in the pass 2years it true that from show u get show quilty way much faster but unknow fish can jump u too like some of wat i have got i may have a new betta line comein in the near feature wat i like about bettas too is u can unlock wat geno they r carring if u can get the same pair to spawn a few times but u guys all ready know that^_^ i cull some of my DTs to day still have a few more to weed out
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #98 
ChibreneyDragon

The main point I am focusing on is not inbreeding, but show bred to show. It still lessens the genepool considerably. And even though humans and dogs arent capable of the same inbreeding... they also dont breed as QUICKLY as these fish.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #99 
Myates

Dogs are inbred all the time.. usually the same amount of times as these fish.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #100 
inareverie85

The quickness of a fish's breeding ability is irrelevant. Inbreeding is done for a set amount of generations, usually three or less, and then an outcross is brought in. Speed has nothing to do with it.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote