Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #101 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Dogs are inbred all the time.. usually the same amount of times as these fish.
I know this... and many "purebred" dogs have some gnarly physical ailments due to the small genepool. But no... It is actually mathematically impossible for dogs to be inbred as much as fish in the amount of time given... Although it has taken hundreds of years for dogs to develop these issues, bettas spawn hundreds, and can spawn every couple of months, and spawn as soon as or sooner than three months old... Dogs have a long gestation period, and are not recommended to breed until AFTER their first heat.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 AM   #102 
chardzard

so if i want to go more show fish it would be best to try n get stock from a well know show breeder, some fish have a shorter life span than some other fish n even dogs n we all ready know this , i like wat u have beening saying it has given me some "food for though" n i know it wont be eazy to be a breeder n try to do show couse show breeders only keep a few fish the best of the stock while a breeder for pet shop keep all most all of the stock, ^_^ some one told me earlyer to sell some for pennys(HMDT breeding) ^_^ my brain have been working much faster now so who going to be for show n who goin to be for store stock haha i think i have to much fish i want to do show with but that great for pet store stock, so wat r we goin to do , i'm a true breeder i dont mind the hard work at all hey i'll take short cuts too (from show breeder stock) if i can get it too :D
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #103 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I still don't think fish even have genetic problems like dogs do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #104 
ChibreneyDragon

? Im assuming you are talking to someone else... If you want show fish quick, ya...show breeders are good for that, but my entire thesis is on how too many people practice this... without doing the hard work for breeding from a larger variety stock to achieve their own unique strain, that the genepool for show bettas will shrink until they are incredibly difficult to breed due to genetic quirks, like over aggression, egg eating, or possibly severe weakness to disease.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #105 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I still don't think fish even have genetic problems like dogs do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Anything with genes has the capability of having "genetic problems". We all have a double helix..and genetic code that matches up repeatedly for say... Excessive Branching, could ALSO have "Bit the heck out of fins" tagged in.

OH, on a side note, look up epigenetics, that stuff is FASCINATING...although not particularly related to fish...
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #106 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Is egg eating a genetic issue?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #107 
ChibreneyDragon

I dont know for sure, I am actually researching this... and even then... wouldnt be able to say its FACT without actually decoding the genes... I can only base it on my breeding...which is hard ... since I have to stay throughout spawning, and watch to see if there is egg eating, and save most of the eggs for artificial hatching... blegh.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #108 
ChibreneyDragon

All I know is that egg eating was not as prevalent as it was ten years ago...but this could simply be the spread of popularity.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #109 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I heard artificially hatched eggs are more likely to become egg eating?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #110 
ChibreneyDragon

Really? I dont see how that is scientifically possible, unless bettas are capable of being mentally traumatized by not having a father... Which I find highly unlikely.