Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #112 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Just stuff I've read on the forum. Psychological trauma clearly! :p
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #113 
inareverie85

Breeding behavior is all instinct, so it makes sense that this would be passed down.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #114 
chardzard

i have hare all kind of stuff as too y some betta males eat eggs 1 think i know for sure is once they start to eat eggs they dont stop no matter wat i have try , 1 other thing i see from time to time is 1 male spawn very well no major damage to the female if any at all then u try to spawn him again in about 4-5 weeks n he try to kill the female, wat i find is some of them become over aggressive after they first spawn
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #115 
inareverie85

I've not noticed my males becoming more aggressive, though I've only bred three of my males more than once.

I will say though that the egg eating is one of two things:

First, it is common for first-timers to eat their eggs and then never do it again. Why? Because they don't know exactly what they are doing when they embrace the first time, and if they don't get it just right, the eggs will not be fertile. Males will eat their infertile eggs. That is why you see males eat some eggs but not all of them in a viable spawn. They eat the ones that aren't going to hatch.

Then, of course, there are your regular eggs eaters or baby eaters, who eat their eggs spawn after spawn. I have one such male I am dealing with who has eaten his first two clutches of eggs. I'm going to give him one more chance, just in case the eggs were not fertile, but if he munches again, he is banned from the ladies. Permanently!
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #116 
chardzard

egg n fry eaters come 1 in every 20-30 males i have try but if i have a egg-eater i really like bad i use to try to get them to spawn on weekends when i'm off so i can remove them the same time ,but most of the time 1 try is all it take n he be sold as a show fish to any 1 who like it n i warn them of this too, i have to try some more frist time males again to see if they be eaters or fathers weekend comeing up :D
Old 01-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #117 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibreneyDragon View Post
All I know is that egg eating was not as prevalent as it was ten years ago...but this could simply be the spread of popularity.
If could be difficult to show whether egg eating has a genetic factor. There are so many other variables going on at the same time.... For example:

What about breeding techniques? If they've changed, this could affect egg eating. What about the effects of reducing stress levels? (I'd think that less stress = less egg eating.)

What about environmental conditions? Even the water itself could be a factor. (Harder, softer, pH, , etc.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #118 
chardzard

some more good points to look into, had 1 fry eater but he was stolen , i just remember back in 2002 when i was trick by 1 of my cusins to keep his bettas yea i did not know any thing about them n though the only thing they did was fight n kill any fish they were keep with yup back then they had a very bad rep n it was so untrue too , my frist egg-eater was a steel blue KCT he was very dark steel with a black head n no red at on on any of this fins , i think spocking them was main couse for egg eating why i say that couse geting bad info back then was my problem, 1 thing i still see some of the other local guys doing is breeding in dirty water , for me if my males dont spawn in the first 4 days i change the water n him sometimes too, had only 2 egg eaters last year 1 was from 1 of my cousin the other was a red dragon scale (pet store)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #119 
shawnee

I hope that some day most breeders will be like this my goal is for bueaty and yet happy healthy fish but if you ever walk in to a petsmart you can see how most people dont give 2 S***s about these fish i wish they would i supplu most of the local shops in my area with fish that wont die in 5 munites of being bought the other day i went into pet smart to buy some bacisc filters and stuff i over heard a lady saking why the fish cant live in the cup that it comes in..... pitifull
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #120 
chardzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
I hope that some day most breeders will be like this my goal is for bueaty and yet happy healthy fish but if you ever walk in to a petsmart you can see how most people dont give 2 S***s about these fish i wish they would i supplu most of the local shops in my area with fish that wont die in 5 munites of being bought the other day i went into pet smart to buy some bacisc filters and stuff i over heard a lady saking why the fish cant live in the cup that it comes in..... pitifull
lol did u tell her any thing? there a pet smart here too they have 2 outlets and the stalf dont care abut the health of the fish they use to have a guy working there who use to take care of the fish but they got rid of him, but i guest if they get someone who know about fish to work there it means you wont be running back so fast