Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #1 
asukabetta

Unhappy Deformed female bettas

I am worried that my two rescue bettas donated by a breeder to my newly started adoption agency are sick beyond help.

The breeder refuses to answer my questions about their care so I cannot say if they were deformed from birth and they are slightly overfed or if there is something internal going on.

It's hard to take a picture because I still have them in the bag with their old water. I'm afraid to contaminated any fish item I have. They are floating in a heated tank so at least they are warm.

But the bag stinks and the water is dirty so I want to put them in clean water after I determine if they are sick or not. If sick I will proceed to use a hospital tank.

But it could be tuberculosis and I don't want to throw away material.

So it will be hard to see, but both females are deformed, one more than the other, plus really really bloated. No signs of raised scales, lacerations--

One has a hunch the other has its spine bent.

No they are really deformed and it isn't the bag distorting them, I triple checked.

The hunch one looks almost normal, I'm just worried for her because she is sharing water with the other, and have been sharing the same tank before that.
Attached Images

asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

To me that just looks like the spinal deformity and bad topline of a female that should have been culled quite early on.

Just because the spine is malformed doesn't make it TB. I know everyone on this forum has a tendency to right away jump on the TB bandwagon, but if she isn't presenting with any other symptoms I would be inclined to cross it off the list of possibilities.

Probably the breeder knows they produced some cull quality fish and are embarrassed by the fact, hence the lack of contact. Either that or to them both females are just throwaway fish so they are not going to bother themselves further with them now the responsibility is out of their hands.

She looks quite eggy so that could explain why she has bloated up. Other than that she looks fairly healthy based on the pictures.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Regardless if it is birth defect or disease related...I would QT for at least 4 weeks as a general rule-remembering if at any point you had to treat for anything-that the QT time-line starts over. You should always QT new fish even if they look healthy and/or came from healthy stock. Sometimes or often I should say, the stress alone from being netted, bagged, travel from a pet shop or shipped can compromise the immune response. This sets the fish up to get sick even if they started out healthy. Then you have antibody issues-the new fish or the current fish may be carriers-but will be asymptomatic due to antibodies-either the new or current fish can be infected due to not have antibody development. Then you can have nitrate issues-especially with fish coming from low nitrate water that pet shops often have due to the way they filter. The fish kept in high nitrate tolerate it without issue, however, it compromises the immune response-making them even more apt to getting something from the new fish-especially if they are carriers. This is where some of the myths come from-New fish killed my fish or pet shop/breeder sold me bad fish....when it wasn't their fault....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #4 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Regardless if it is birth defect or disease related...I would QT for at least 4 weeks as a general rule-remembering if at any point you had to treat for anything-that the QT time-line starts over. You should always QT new fish even if they look healthy and/or came from healthy stock. Sometimes or often I should say, the stress alone from being netted, bagged, travel from a pet shop or shipped can compromise the immune response. This sets the fish up to get sick even if they started out healthy. Then you have antibody issues-the new fish or the current fish may be carriers-but will be asymptomatic due to antibodies-either the new or current fish can be infected due to not have antibody development. Then you can have nitrate issues-especially with fish coming from low nitrate water that pet shops often have due to the way they filter. The fish kept in high nitrate tolerate it without issue, however, it compromises the immune response-making them even more apt to getting something from the new fish-especially if they are carriers. This is where some of the myths come from-New fish killed my fish or pet shop/breeder sold me bad fish....when it wasn't their fault....
oki them I shall be moving them to the qt tank :)
Old 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #5 
RoMay

Bent spine or not I wouldn't mind betta still looks like a cutie. Glad someone cares for them.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #6 
Perry the platypus

Yes bent spine. But she's special, right? And she has A LOT of stress.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #7 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry the platypus View Post
Yes bent spine. But she's special, right? And she has A LOT of stress.
the breeder didn't care for them at all.

Tags
betta, deformed