Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #1 
Valentino14

Oh, the divided tank

I have two bettas- An adult and a juvenile. We all know that two male bettas are to never be put together! but what are your thoughts about divided tanks? I have always been told that they stress this fish out and that the fish don't live as long as they normally would. Then others say if one of the fish happens to get sick, the illness may pass through the water. So, what are your thoughts? I would eventually like to be able to use one if they are deemed safe enough
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #2 
Sparksmybetta

In my opinion, I would never put bettas in divided tanks. For your exact reasons that you were worried about it.
Sparksmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #3 
Rana

It depends on the individual fish, really. Some hate being in divided tanks, others seem to not even know they have a neighbor. I wouldn't divide anything smaller than a 5g, so it also depends on what tank you have already/are planning to buy.

Diseases will potentially spread easier, and there is the chance that they will get through/over the dividers to fight, which is why people recommend using two dividers instead of one. That way you get a "no man's land" in the middle if one divider fails, and it's a great place to put the heater and filter so both sides are equal.

On the plus side, you have a larger tank surface so it's easier to cycle, you only need to clean one tank instead of several, and you only need equipment/decor for one tank.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #4 
Valentino14

That's a good idea, Rana! For now they're happy separated. I'm actually in the process of upgrading the size for both of them... Stupid sand is taking a long time to settle!! Lol
Old 02-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Divided 5g+ tanks work fine, especially double-divided like Rana says.

My main objection is that each bay is taller than long. Betta like floorspace more than depth.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:38 AM   #6 
Polkadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksmybetta View Post
In my opinion, I would never put bettas in divided tanks. For your exact reasons that you were worried about it.
Same here,I'd be a nervous wreck incase anything happened.That's why I wouldn't ever have a divided tank,a sorority or community tank.I like them in their own little areas.
Polkadot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #7 
Valentino14

If it was double divided, some day, I may try it... but not for a long time! Still doesn't solve the illness problem, though
Old 02-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #8 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I have a divided tank and there was one mishap when I first filled it. I made it slightly too high in the waterline and kaida got into kenta's side. oddly enough they just stared at each other in shock, didnt even flare. it was as if the concept of a fish being in 'their' side was so foreign they didn't know what to do. I of course scooped him out before they could make any more decisions about the matter and lowered the waterline. hasn't been a problem since. Its one I made from a plastic craft mesh and has nowhere they can dig or shimmy past.

I wouldn't want to separate these two if I could to be honest. When Kaida gets sick (often) and I have to swap him out they both get very depressed and lethargic. They live to chat.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #9 
Valentino14

That's so funny! I'm glad it worked out for you... Yeah I can see how sometimes they would really like the company!