Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #1 
Hopelessaddict101

Exclamation How to Disinfect (Sanitize) your aquarium/fish-tank.

Whilst looking online, I found an article about how to Sanitize your aquarium.
I thought it might be good to share for others who do not know how to, either:

Bleach is one of the safest and most effective methods for sanitizing an aquarium before the initial set-up. Many people are afraid to use bleach because they are afraid of its potency but actually it is perfectly safe if used correctly. We use bleach for sanitization because it is one of the most successful chemicals we have for disinfecting. It is commonly used in U.S. hospitals and is recommended by the Center for Disease Control. Bleach or Sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), is also safe for the environment. It breaks down very quickly, leaving mostly salt and water behind. Because it is a strong disinfectant that breaks down into harmless byproducts rapidly, it can be used to sanitize baby and pet toys, aquariums and yes it is even used to sanitize our water supply.
  • When buying bleach for aquarium cleaning, only use regular bleach like Chlorox Regular Bleach or an equivalent. Do not use bleach mixed with detergent. Detergents leave dangerous residue that can be fatal to aquarium fish.
  • Using a typical household bleach (which is already about 5% bleach) mix 9 parts water with 1 part regular bottled bleach. I like to store it short term in a spray bottle purchased at my local hardware store. Note that bleach does break down fairly quickly so only make small quantities at a time. Never store bleach in a bottled previously used with other chemicals.
  • Wipe any debris from the aquarium with warm water and a paper towel.
  • Spray all surfaces of the aquarium with the 10% solution you have just created. I like to do this in my bathtub to contain the overspray. Sanitizing outdoors is also a good option.
  • Let the aquarium sit for 10-15 minutes. Bleach is a corrosive chemical and can cause damage to your aquarium if left too long. Do not allow it to sit for longer than 15 minutes.
  • Rinse thoroughly. When you are done rinsing, rinse again for good measure.
  • Allow the aquarium to air dry completely. This will help to insure that the bleach solution has broken down into harmless byproducts.
  • Once you set up your aquarium, fill the tank with water and dose with a good aquarium water dechlorinator.

Aquarium gravel, decorations, filters, heaters, etc. can also be bleached using the same concentration of water to bleach. You can either spray them or soak them in a bowl depending on what you are cleaning. Just be sure to rinse very well and allow everything to air dry completely before putting back in the aquarium. Note that metal rusts quickly when exposed to bleach. As mentioned earlier, never allow bleach to sit on the item for more than 10 15 minutes.

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION:
Bleach can be very dangerous if inhaled or ingested. It can cause moderate to severe damage if it comes in contact with the eyes or skin. It can also cause discoloration or corrosion of some materials. Please view the International Chemical Safety Card before using bleach.

Link for International Chemical Safety Card: http://www.ilo.org/safework/lang--en/index.htm

- Hopelessaddict101
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

If you are like me and are terribly allergic to it, or even just still afraid of using bleach pure white vinegar works as well.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #3 
Hopelessaddict101

Thanks for that, Sena!

I found this online whilst looking at articles about doing sanatization and figured since we don't have something like this here on bettafish.com I misawell put something up and hope it gets stickied! :)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I agree it should be stickied :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #5 
Hopelessaddict101

Thanks!

It's the first time I've had to sanitize a tank and I couldn't find anything on here so when I found this I thought... lets put it up! ;) Surely others will need it in the future!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #6 
Gryphon

There are a couple of threads floating around on the best way to clean a tank, but not as comprehensive as this one.

Personally, I'm not a fan of using Bleach (it's just nasty stuff!) and strongly recommend white vinegar. Baking soda can also be used as a scrub if a deep clean is needed.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I know that it's safe, but it still makes me nervous, so what I do instead is cover the gravel in vinegar, let it soak for 15 minutes, wipe the sides, then pour boiling water in to be safe. Works like a charm and all natural.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #8 
Hopelessaddict101

I hope it gets stickied. :)

And bleach can make you pretty anxious using it. But if you do it the correct way, in a well ventilated place, and rinse like crazy before using it, it's the most effective way. :)
Old 01-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #9 
Elsewhere

This is awesome, I need this information for this weekend, my aunt has just asked me to help he clean out her old fish tank! Thank you so much, I totally agree that this should be stickied!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #10 
Hopelessaddict101

I'm glad I could help, then! :)

Tags
aquarium, clean, make safe, sanitize